Chapter 23: Be Strong

(Be Strong is by Fefe Dobson)

Erin’s POV:

                “Where is Robert?” I scoffed still fuming from last night.

                “Didn’t make it in today,” Allen knew I was angry and that it was about Robert, but not what for. “What happened between you two last night?” He asked passively, as not to irritate me.

                “Absolutely nothing happened between me and Robert last night, and it never will. That is the last thing anyone has to worry about.” I managed not to cry. I must have run out of tears last night.

                “As convincing as that was AirBear, I’m not buying it.” He rested his sympathetic hand on my shoulder.

                “I’m just pissed he left me with his crappy shift. That’s it,” I aggressively grabbed a room service cart and stomped to the phone. Allen knew better than to push me farther than I was willing to be. The phone was already ringing. Why was anyone up and functioning that early in the morning? I was dismayed to see that it was the twin’s suite. “Room service,” I did not even try to hide my disgust.

                “The usual,” she said in a cheerful tone then hung up without saying anything else. I reluctantly grabbed two bowls and glasses. After I had the plain oatmeal warming up I filled the blender with a bunch of stuff that belongs on a salad and should never be drank. I pushed down the blend button and then filled both bowls with oatmeal. Once it was nice and liquefied I filled both of the glasses with the green goop. One time I tasted the girls’ breakfast, needless to say that was a onetime deal. I love flavored instant oatmeal, but the plain stuff they eat tastes like sand and glue. I don’t know what I was thinking trying the smoothie, I guess the color enticed me. The experience scarred me for life, and I gag just smelling it now.

                I grabbed a vase and filled it with the flowers left over from last night’s wedding, which just happened to be their mother’s this time. As I studied the cart I wondered how they could eat that every morning. As I scanned the bowls of oatmeal I felt my less than flat stomach. Maybe eating a breakfast like that every morning was the one thing standing between me and Roberts’ last dance. I decided not to dwell on it and made my way up to the suite.

                I knocked loudly, realizing that they were probably still recovering. They deserved to suffer for their bad decisions last night. “What the heck Erin,” Patricia said rubbing her hangover throbbing head. I offered her a bowl as I walked into the suite. She rejected it, “not this morning, Petunia’s room,” she pointed me away. I wondered why Petunia was not courteous enough to tell me I only needed to make one plate.

                I knocked on her door, and Petunia whipped it open. She had very tacky pink lingerie on. It had fake fur and everything. I wondered how Robert could have gone from me to her. It was as if we were in the same category in his eyes, and I was insulted. “Honey, breakfast is here,” she chirped looking back to her bed. The boy growled a little bit as he rolled around under the covers.

                “What, where am…” My heart sank as I saw Rob appear from under the sheets. His eyes met mine and he was at a loss for words. He must have seen the disappointment in my gaze.

                “Robert,” I said it like it was a question, but I knew exactly who he was and what he did.

                He was clearly just as shocked to see me. “Erin!” He seemed distraught as he jumped out of bed displaying everything God blessed him with. I looked away and covered my eyes. The last thing I wanted to see was something that was in Petunia. I heard him fumbling to get a shred of clothing on.