Chapter 25: If I Were A Boy

(If I Were A Boy is by Beyonce)

Erin’s POV:

            I woke up to my ringing alarm clock and buried my head into my blankets to get away from the sound. As it got louder I finally regained my rationality and pushed snooze. I hate morning brain, but most of all I hated that I no longer wanted to get up to go to work. I’m sure that’s natural for most people, but I actually hadn’t minded work this year. No matter what I had to do I always looked forward to seeing… forget it never mind. The ringing went off again, and I knew I could no longer ignore it if I wanted a good breakfast this morning.

            After I was done getting ready I quickly grabbed my lunch box because I was behind. I ran out of the room, quickly locked my door and sprinted to the elevator. The doors were just starting to close, and someone was already inside, but I couldn’t see who it was. “Hold the door please,” I shouted desperately not wanting to show up late two days in a row.

            A strong arm appeared sending the door back in the other direction. I immediately knew who’s it was, as I saw Robert peak his head out to look at me. I froze right in front of it not sure I actually wanted to go inside with him. “Hey, Erin,” he said happily, but his voice wavered a bit. He was trying to make me feel comfortable around him again, but being trapped with him for even a second was too scary of a thought to even test.

            I smiled, “You know what? I need exercise, and I’m just going to use the stairs. Sorry, I didn’t mean to stop you. Proceed,” I shooed him with my hand which was a mistake because he took that opportunity to grab it.

            “No, you’ll be late I’ll take the stairs,” he pulled me in before I could resist. His touch was cold, no tingles this time, but now he had me too close to him. His scent immediately filled my nose. I hadn’t smelt it since the dance and I didn’t want him taking me back there, but it was too late images were already filling my head. Why couldn’t he realize that this is what I was trying to avoid?

            I stepped back, still in his grip, creating distance so I could regain control. He seemed hurt by my reaction, and I thought that’s what I wanted, but for whatever reason I felt bad for him. He released me and started to turn away, but I quickly flipped my hand around and grabbed his forearm. “Don’t. Neither of us should be late. You don’t have to leave.”

            “You sure?” he clearly didn’t want to put up too much of a fight.

            I nodded as reassuring as I could muster. “Just please don’t talk to me.” He hung his head disappointed then looked up and moved his hand across his mouth like he was zipping his lips. I was slightly angry that he was trying to make a joke of the situation, but his eyes seemed serious, so I just looked forward at the door and tried to ignore him.

            We sat in silence until the light flashed on floor six. “I’m sorry,” Robert’s voice revealed.

            I looked over to see him staring at me again. “You’re not suppose to talk,” I looked forward again but his eyes stayed put. “Another thing, can you stop apologizing every time we see each other?”

            He shook his head, “Not until I gain your forgiveness.”

            “Then that’s going to get really annoying.” He shrugged, with no intention of giving in. He was stubborn, but so was I. He wasn’t getting my approval again until I knew he really understood what he did.

            We went silent again until the doors opened in the basement. “I thought Mrs. Gats was still on her honeymoon in her room,” Robert questioned.