Chapter 14: King of Anything

(King of Anything is by Sara Bareilles)

Harry's POV:

            I was heading to the dish room when a manager stopped me and told me to head to the kitchen for a meeting. I just automatically assumed I was in trouble, because I always am. I went in to see the whole restaurant staff for the day waiting in a big group. Erin was the only familiar face I recognized, so I took a spot next to her.

            “What do you think this is about?” I asked her.

            “I’ve got a guess,” she said right before the manager began talking.

            “We’ve got a special guest with us today, so we can expect things to get a little hectic around here. His name is Louis Tomlinson…” my heart raced when I heard the name. What was this about? No one told me he was coming.  The manager continued reading from the sheet, “He’s from a famous UK boy band called One Direction. Some of you may have heard of him, but if not, the band is very popular amongst young girls. No surprise there. He has a few demands, but that’s nothing new. Only problem is we’re expecting a big crowd. We have two weddings and a convention today, so we need everyone to do their part. We’re going to have to move some of your positions, so I’ll come around to let you all know where we need you. Thanks everyone for your cooperation.”

            I stood there dazed as everyone scattered except for Erin. She could sense I was acting odd. “You okay,” she waved her hand in front of my face, “Do you know him or something,” she asked.

            “Know him. Huh? No, why would I know him. He’s famous,” I said nervously, afraid she was on to me.

            “Geez calm down, I meant is he popular in Britain considering he’s from there. As in do you like him? I don’t expect you to know him personally,” she explained with a big smile.

            “Oh right,” I let out a laugh realizing how suspicious I must look to her, “Yeah good call, he is a big deal in Britain. Everyone loves One Direction, but I’ve never actually seen any of them in person. It be really cool to see him,” I faked my excitement trying to cover up my slip.

            “Good,” she said happily and then turned around to give the manager a thumbs up. He let out a relieved sigh and mouthed thank you to her. “I may have signed you up for a job without asking you, but hey you want to meet him anyway so I guess you can thank me,” she said before walking away and gesturing for me to follow her.

             “Wait, what?”

            “So this Tomlinson guy wants someone to stand at the table during his meal, so he never has to wait for a refill. He sounds like diva to everyone else, so no one volunteered for the position. That’s when Bill gave me the job to find someone, as usual. See I’m already going to be his waitress, so that left you,” she said pointing at me like it was matter of fact.

            “What did I get myself into,” I asked still confused about the whole situation.

            “More like what did I get you into,” she smile, “But really you’re a lifesaver, and it shouldn’t be too bad,” she said putting her hand on my shoulder as she led me to the restroom to change.

            After I was done she briefed me on all I needed to know like we were on an undercover mission as we walked over to the table, “Remember how Bill said Louis has demands? He’s got three that you need to be aware of right now, and the rest you’ll have to learn as you go along. Rule number one, we’re not allowed to look him in the eyes.”