Chapter 2: Anything I'm Not

(Anything I'm Not is by Lenka)

Harry's POV:

            At our next monthly meeting they gathered all of the boys together to tests out my new disguise and explain to them what was going on this summer and what was expected of them to keep my secret. While they were being caught up I was in the process of getting my makeup done and wig on as the show producers quizzed me about Robert for what seemed like the hundredth time.

            “Name,” one of them asked.

            “Robert Samuel Evans,” I replied.

            “What are your parents' names?”

            “Regan and Samuel Evans.”

            “Good, how many siblings do you have?”

            “Two. I have a brother named William; he’s 16, and a sister named Lucy who’s 12.”

            “No.” Steve replied. “You’re brother is 17. Harry this is important. I know I said could have some leeway with your character but it’s a lot easier if you remember what we told you. Otherwise you have to keep track of new lies. You have to be consistent.”

            The makeup artist was pressing her pen down hard on my skin to create the scars. I cringed a bit. “Hold still,” she snapped. It seemed like everyone wanted to tell me what to do.

            “I know I’ll get it down before I go. I just need more time to study,” I said frustrated. “I do have a question though. The contract says that I can’t tell people about the hidden cameras even if they ask. Is that even legal?”

            “If they sign the contracts they are agreeing to be on camera the whole summer they’ve been told the conditions that’s not your job. Also, if you do tell anyone the experiment will be terminated and you will be pulled out immediately,” Mark explained.

            “Are you tricking people?” I asked before the hair stylist started yanking my hair to tightly weave it into the wig.  “Ow,” I exclaimed but it didn’t seem to faze her. She just kept pulling.

            “No, no, they’ve been informed completely. We just don’t want you constantly reminding people they are on camera. It will kill any real moments you might have. People act differently when they realize they are being filmed. We don’t want you thinking about it either, so we won’t even tell you where most of the cameras are hidden. If someone ever asks you if there are hidden cameras, which they shouldn’t, just tell them no. We’ll talk to them after, not you. Do you understand?” Steve asked placing the black glasses over my ears.

            “Yeah, I guess that makes sense,” I agreed.

            “Looks like you’re done,” Steve said as everyone huddled around to stare at me. Steve and Mark seemed pleased, but all of the stylists refused to give me any hints about what they thought. “Do you want to see yourself?” Steve asked.

            “Might as well,” I said with a smile. He turned my chair around and I was suddenly facing a stranger in the mirror. I admired the tattoos as I reached for a piece of blue hair to feel the consistency. It was a little thinner then my natural curls, but it felt real.  I had to blink a few times to prove to myself that those were my blue eyes.  I touched the scars and then lead my hand down my fake nose and nose ring.

            “Don’t be too rough with any of the make-up. It’s on there pretty good and you should only have problems with water, but we don’t need any unnecessary malfunctions by touching it too much,” Mark said nervously, but he was trying not to worry me.

            “Isn’t it waterproof?” I asked.

            “Yes, but large amounts can smear it. Just don’t ever go swimming while you’re Robert. Also you should know that we have our stylists on call whenever you need them,” Mark reassured me.

            I nodded looking back at the mirror figuring I didn’t have a lot to lose even if it didn’t work out perfectly.  At least it was a chance to have a normal life again no matter how long it lasted.

            “Wow,” Dave said appearing behind me in the mirror, “Are you ready to show the boys?” I wondered how long he had been in the room.

            “Depends, what do they think of the whole thing,” I asked.

            “You’re going to have to find out for yourself,” he said pointing my shoulders to the door.

            I walked over with my head down and took one deep breath before opening the door. They weren’t facing my direction, so they didn’t see me come in. Zayn and Louis were on their phones, Liam was preoccupied with a magazine article about him that he must not have seen yet, and Niall was over at our complementary buffet with a huge stack of food on his plate and a roll in his mouth.  I cleared my throat to catch their attention.

            They all turn around to stare for a while. Zayn shrugged his shoulders and went back to his phone, which was a little odd but maybe he just wasn’t feeling it today. Then Liam shook his head looking at Louis and looked down not wanting to make eye contact with me. Louis looked at him and rolled his eyes. I looked at Niall hoping he didn’t hate me too. He dropped the roll into his hand as he spun around. He raised his eyebrows and gave me a disappointed smirk then took a huge bite of the roll.

            “Really guys, what’s everyone’s problem?” I yelled, “ I thought you’d be happy for me, or excited, or at least not jerks about it.”

            “Did you hear that Liam? We’re the Jerks,” Louis said in his sarcastic tone.

            “What’s that suppose to mean? I’m a jerk because I took a great opportunity to do something I’ve needed since we hit it big,”

            “Hit it big? When did we hit it big? I thought we all agreed that if we ever said that we hit it big that would be the point we’d realize we’re getting big heads,” Liam asked in his fatherly tone.

            “Looks like somebody’s getting a big head,” Zayn added.

            “I’m not getting a big head,” I explained, “I just slipped up. I didn’t mean it, I was just frustrated that you guys never support me in anything I do.”

            “Correction, we never support you in anything you do solo,” Niall explained.

            “That makes you selfish,” I argued.

            “Did you even think about us before you decided to take the offer?” Louis asked.

            “They didn’t want you. They wanted me. Why would I think about you?”

            “Exactly, you’re the only one that matters,” Louis said disappointed in me. “So have fun with that, and don’t expect us to be excited for you when you couldn’t care less about us.”

            I didn’t have a comeback to their temper tantrums, so I just shook my head and stormed back into the make-up room. I took my seat in front of the mirror and angrily stared back at Robert.

            “They’re just jealous,” Dave assured me.

            I nodded, trying to believe it myself.