XXVI

She made herself presentable and held Mika's hand as they went out of the room. They went downstairs and she led them both to the kitchen. Mika was just following her while looking around, seemingly amazed by the interior of the house. She felt proud knowing that Mika was appreciating the place she grew up in. 

When they were in the kitchen, she saw her Lola, not biologically but still a relative, preparing the dining table. When Mika saw her Lola, Mika let go of her hand, which she took back immediately. Mika looked at her in askance.

"Good morning ulit, La!" she greeted and went to kiss the old woman on her cheek.

"Magandang umaga rin, Ineng. Magandang umago sayo, hija," Lola said while looking at Mika.

Mika smiled shyly and did mano. "Magandang umaga po."

"La, si Mika nga po pala, girlfriend ko po," she said before pulling Mika closer to her and kissing her on the temple.

Mika turned beet red.

"Girlfriend?" Lola looked confused and she felt Mika froze beside her. 

She probably did not think this through considering how conservative old people were and she did not exactly know what her Lolo and Lola's stand on a relationship such as theirs but she wanted them to know either way. She was not gonna hide Mika away from her family. 

"Girlfriend ba ang narinig ko?" someone said from behind them and she smiled at her Lolo. 

She took a step forward and kissed her Lolo, too. "Opo, Lo. Si Mika po, girlfriend ko."

Mika also stepped forward and paid respect before greeting.

She thought both her and Mika stopped breathing as they waited for their reaction.

"Girlfriend mo talaga, Ineng?" Lola asked again. "Ke-gandang bata naman ata niya para maging girlfriend mo."

"Mestiza at matangkad. Parang kahit sino sa inyo ng mga kuya mo mahirap paniwalaan na makakabingwit ng katulad niya, Ineng," her Lolo added. 

She heard Mika chuckle and she scratched her head. Why was she surrounded by people who want to bully her? But she still smiled because that was a better reaction than she expected.

"Grabe naman kayo sakin, Lo at La. Saan na napunta 'yung sabi niyo maganda ako at maswerte mapapangasawa ko?" she pretended to sound hurt.

"Maswerte naman talaga si Mika, Ineng," her Lola agreed.

"Pero parang mas maswerte ka ata," her Lolo said.

And Mika laughed even more before putting an arm around her waist. "Parehas lang po kaming swerte. Salamat po."

As expected, Mika easily got along with her Lolo and Lola and all throughout their brunch, she was the subject of their amusement.

After brunch, she just showed Mika around the place and they settled on the hammock in their garden where they talked about their problems. Calmly. Well, as calmly as they could.Of course, Mika got a few pinches, pokes, and light hits which she welcomed with open arms. 

Hey, that was pretty much normal occurrence between the two of them before the fight so she didn't mind at all. They were really back to normal. After talking, she pulled Mika up and invited her to the bedroom.

"Ly, no," Mika said while crossing her arms as she sat down on the bed.

She laughed. "Babe, ang manyak mo. I wasn't even thinking about that."

Mika just raised her brow on her.

Okay. Maybe she was thinking about that but Mika said not here in their ancestral home. Her wife can be a prude sometimes but she plans to change her mind later in the evening. Seriously, though, she brought Mika here for a different purpose.