Chapter 58

58. A Runway Adventure

            It wasn’t that Chase didn’t trust Krislynn enough that he felt the immediate need to sweep her back to Los Angeles on the first available flight. She had proven to him that he was at the center of her affections, but the fact that Jace had feelings for her didn’t exactly keep him at ease either. It might be because he genuinely lacked the confidence to compete with someone who had as much moral as Jace, and even though Jace had no intentions to compete, for that uncertainty alone, Chase kept the episode by the creek away from Krislynn’s knowledge.

            She was a little sad and disappointed that they had to return a day sooner than they were meant to, but she promptly obliged when Chase made up some bogus excuse about something happening at work, and the rest of his family were just as gullible. Even Jace, who Chase was desperately trying to act normal in front of, seemed oblivious to his awkwardness and thought nothing suspicious about his sudden need to leave. Despite his smooth escape however, the anxiety never left him and without Krislynn to unburden to, he only had Seth and Pete who were rarely sympathetic when it came to Chase Evans’ women issues.

            “What?” Seth shouted into the phone during a three-way call between the trio. “So is he going to marry her or is he not?”

            “He’s going to marry her,” Chase muttered. “Even though he doesn’t love her. That’s a bit messed up though don’t you think?”

            “And then he told you he’s falling in love with Krislynn? Is that supposed to be a challenge? And what did you say?”

            “I didn’t say anything! How could I say anything? What right do I have when I was the one who ran behind his back and slept with his fiancée? I don’t think he meant it to be anything besides being honest, but I feel like the whole thing is a mess now even though he’s forgiven me.”

            Pete, who had been practically silent throughout the conversation, suddenly spoke up. “Did you ask him why?” He asked calmly. “There must be a reason he’s willing to marry her despite having no interest in her.”

            “Maybe LaCienega’s blackmailing him.”

       “Shut up Seth. She’s not blackmailing him.” Chase sighed and rubbed his temples, jogging his memory back to the creek and trying his best to translate his thoughts and feelings. “I think it was at the back of my mind. I wanted to ask him why and was waiting for an opportunity to, but then he pulled that Krislynn thing and I totally forgot about it.”

            In terms of advice, the two friends had very opposite views of what Chase’s next choice of action was. Seth thought that Chase was being nosy and since the issue was between Jace and LaCienega, he should stay out of it by all means. Pete on the other hand, saw no reason why Chase shouldn’t interfere.

“My advice to you depends on what you want,” he started. “At this point, I think it’s fair to say LaCienega’s yours for the taking, and Jace has pretty much given you permission to take the burden off his hands. The only issue that remains is whether you still want LaCienega.”