Chapter 25

25. The Girlfriend & The Fiancée

Michelle was more than ecstatic about Krislynn meeting LaCienega, and even more than that, Chase seeing LaCienega for the first time after everything that happened. She had barely been able to sleep the evening before, her stomach overwhelmed by giddy butterflies like a girl the night before her first date.

She had counted down the seconds to the time they were supposed to meet at the beach today only to be disappointed with the tardiness of the main characters. Growling, she texted Chase for what possibly was the hundredth time knowing very well that he would never text her back even if he got the message. That was just one of the many horrible traits of Chase Evans that she had learned to put up with over the years.

“God, just where are they?” She hissed casting Seth a gaze before staring out into the buzzing beach crowd. It was just past noon and already the sandy beach was covered by a blanket of people making Michelle feel like time was uncontrollably slipping out of her hands. “Pete isn’t returning my messages either.”

Seth wrinkled his eyebrows and watched LaCienega rub sunscreen on Jace’s ever so pale and pasty backside. He really couldn’t see why they were a couple though he highly doubted he was the first one to think that. “Why are you so eager for Chase to show up?” He asked. “Just give him time. You know he’s not a morning person. He probably only got up an hour ago.”

“How could I not be eager?” She retorted with a quick flip of her silky, black hair. “Aren’t you excited to see the drama unfold?”

Seth quickly glanced over at LaCienega and Jace, and after making sure they weren’t listening in, he edged closer to his fiancée and turned up the volume of his portable iPod stereo before speaking. “You don’t have something planned do you?” He asked as the music pumped from the speakers overpowering their gentle whispers. “You already played Cupid at the gala and they ended up sleeping together. Please don’t tell me you’ve got more gimmicks up your sleeve.”

Michelle cupped his cheek in her hand and smiled playfully at him. “No plans,” she said. “Yet.”

“Yet?”

She nodded enthusiastically before moving on to explain. “Today is totally a field day,” she said. “I’m going to sit back and watch how Chase reacts to LaCienega and vice versa. Then I’m going to calculate whether Chase and Krislynn’s relationship have progressed enough so that–”

“Wait. Wait. Wait.” Seth sighed restlessly as he ran his fingers through his messy blonde hair. “Shouldn’t you just let their relationship play out by itself? I mean, from experience, you know that messing with other people’s relationship never works out.”

Michelle laughed loudly as a pompous look took over her face. “I have no experiences like that whatsoever,” she said proudly. “And as far as I’m concerned, you don’t either because I need your help in this.”

Seth only rolled his eyes. “Any other crap I’d jump right in,” he said, “but we should really lay off and let Chase handle his own affairs. I mean, I’m sure he knows what’s the best for himself don’t you think?”