Chapter 32

32. Un-bear-able

Sunday morning Krislynn got out of bed at nine after being woken from a few disturbances outside in the hallway. After quickly getting dressed, she exited the room, leaving Chase still rolled up in a little ball of sheets. He didn’t sleep until after four last night, throw in the fact that he had been drinking plus his own uncanny dislike of waking up early in the morning, Krislynn figured the man wouldn’t get up even if  the house started burning down.

Outside in the hall Krislynn found Jace dragging a big suitcase down the flight of stairs. He looked up and smiled when he saw her passing by. “Well, good morning there.”

“Yeah. Good morning. What are you doing?” She gazed sleepily at his baggage before eyeing him curiously. “Are we leaving now? I thought we were supposed to have breakfast, go shopping at the pier, and then have late lunch before heading home.”

Jace’s lips pressed into a thin line across his face. “We were. Actually, you guys can still stay as long as you want. LaCienega and I are just heading back a little bit early.” His expression twisted in disappointment as he continued clumsily lugging the suitcase down. “She’s not feeling very well so she wants to go home,” he explained. “Bizarre thing is she doesn’t even want to stay for breakfast.”

Krislynn nodded and didn’t press the topic any further. No doubt Jace wouldn’t have the answer anyway, and she had a pretty good guess why LaCienega wanted to leave as soon as possible anyhow. “Do you want me to help you out with that? You look like you’re having a bit of trouble.”

“Oh no, it’s okay,” he yipped quickly, smiling broadly as he readjusted his eyeglasses. “I can’t have a lady doing something like that. I would get struck by lightning.” He laughed, but Krislynn shivered at the thought. “Oh, that’s right. Will you come out to the car with me? I need to give you something.”

Without really comprehending his words, Krislynn agreed and told him she’d meet him outside after she brushed her teeth and freshened up a little. It didn’t occur to her that he wanted to “give” her something until she was out the front door, and when that realization hit, she hoped to God it wasn’t what she thought it would be.

But it was.

As soon as she appeared on the curb of the sidewalk where Jace had parked his car, he pulled out the gigantic and very distinguished panda bear she had so badly wanted the night before from his trunk. “Surprise,” he said with a childish grin. “I hope you like it.”

Krislynn stopped in her tracks and let her jaw fall a few inches down. Her eyes went wide as she frantically shook her head. “But... I thought the guy at the stand wouldn’t make a sale and the game was totally rigged. How did you get it?”

Jace shrugged and stuffed one hand in his pocket as he held the bear with the other. “Well... There’re a couple ways around it I guess.” He went on to explain all the mechanics involved, and though Krislynn had no idea what velocity, momentum and energy had to do with getting a teddy bear, she got the gist that he calculated how to throw the ball in without it bouncing out.

“So you managed to find a formula to win the game?” She clarified.