Chapter 20

A/N.: I know. I know. I've either been uberly missed or uberly hated for being totally lame and not updating since the beginning of forever, but ONE: I've been busy and TWO: When I did get around to writing, I was getting smoked with Writer's Block. So I'm sorry for the extremely long wait, and here's the next chapter. Hopefully it doesn't suck too much.  

~*~*~

20. Epic Fail

A streak of sunlight pierced through the window and hit Chase’s sleeping eyes. He winced from the sudden light and laid in silence for a moment before lifting his eyelids. His head felt heavy and groggy, but the feeling was a familiar one to him so he wasn’t all that surprised. How much did he drink last night? What happened?

His head turned to the side and raised an eyebrow when he found Krislynn’s head resting peacefully on his arm. Oh right. That happened.

At the realization, Chase’s entire body tensed and a small part of him contemplated to run out of the hotel room as fast as he can without waking her up. He wasn’t quite sure how she’d handle it once she came to – though he had this uncanny hunch that she’d blame their alcoholism on him and then use that to dismember him somehow.

The thoughts juggled inside his head briefly before he uttered a sigh and turned his body to face the sleeping kitten completely. A soft smile unconsciously lit his face and he found a strange melting sensation rooting from his gut – one that made his breath quicken a few paces, his heart skip a few heartbeats, and an awkward jitter that moved throughout his body – when his eyes found her sleeping so peacefully in his arms. 

Gently, careful not to wake her, his body moved to its own accord – as if he had absolutely no control over it. His free hand reached out, a little shaky, and with some focused concentration, ran the back of his fingers lightly against her cheek. He smiled again – wider this time and still unconsciously – until a mischievous side of him took hold and his finger struck out and nudged her cheek.

Krislynn’s face instantly scrunched up in annoyance, but the gesture was brief and she returned to her sleeping state right after.

Chase raised an eyebrow in amusement before poking her again, this time repeatedly. Pig, he thought, as he provoked her. Poke. Poke. Poke. Poke.

Mmm!” No sooner after the soft whimper of protest escaped her lips, Krislynn started shuffling in her sleep, but to Chase’s surprise – rather than rolling away from him – she rolled towards, until her naked body pressed against his, until her face snuggled into his chest.

Chase immediately froze as his body went as rigid as an iron pipe. Disbelief washed over him as he peered down at the sleeping girl and found himself losing control once more and in more than one way. “What in the world,” he muttered slowly, “are you doing to me?”

Arms circling around Krislynn’s tiny waistline, Chase felt a sudden sense of shame as he lowered his head and nuzzled his nose against the nape of her neck. It didn’t take a genius to tell that he was acting weird this morning, but Chase didn’t have much time to ponder this fact because Krislynn was shuffling again, but this time in half wakefulness.