Chapter 13

13. Three is a Crowd

Jace’s eyes glittered like 500,000 watt light-bulbs---that was the first time Krislynn realized that. With just a white dress shirt, a navy vest much too big, brown pants a size too short and bright red socks pulled way too high and peeking out, Jace looked insanely adorable.

At the sight of her, his head tilted to the side in confusion---almost unsure if he had come to the right place. “I’m looking for Seth,” he said softly as he ran a finger up the bridge of his nose to keep his glasses from falling. His eyes darted to the ground immediately after---as if the mere thought of speaking to her made him shy. “I do have the right house, don’t I?”

Krislynn’s heart, which she thought she had completely lost a moment before, pounded violently inside her chest. It was like she was skydiving from out of space and each second longer she stood in front of this magnificent creature, her heartbeat increased. Suddenly feeling rather conscious of her attire, Krislynn straightened the hem of her shirt and nodded. “He’s just inside.”

“Oh.” Jace smiled nervously. “And um... sorry, you are?”

“I’m Krislynn Reimer. I’m Chase’s new gir–” Krislynn stopped halfway and let the syllables trail off her tongue before picking herself up. “Friend,” she corrected. “I’m Chase’s new friend.”

“I’m Jace,” he said politely as he held out his hand. “It’s an absolute pleasure to meet you.”

Smiling, Krislynn slid her hand into his, and felt an immediate shockwave flash down her spine. His hand was unbelievably small, almost as tiny as hers, but it was definitely softer by a long ways. Suddenly overwhelmed by the desire to embrace him in her arms and squeeze him until he couldn’t breathe, Krislynn backed away and let him inside the house.

“Since you’re here, is Chase here as well?” He asked, but Krislynn didn’t need to answer his question because Chase showed up at the mention of his whereabouts.

“Hey Jay,” he muttered sluggishly while Seth followed loyally behind him. “What’s up man?”

Jace’s face brightened when he saw Chase. “Oh hey! What happened last week? You just disappeared after delivering that present to LaCienega for me. I didn’t even get a chance to buy you dinner to thank you. She said she enjoyed your company.”

Chase’s entire body stiffened as he forced out a shrug. “Yeah. Well. Don’t worry about it.” His gaze lowered as he stuffed his hands inside his pockets. He hadn’t realized how guilty he felt for sleeping with LaCienega until this very moment---face to face with the man he had been friends with since he was a tiny babe.

“He had some business down in Mexico and just came back today,” Seth offered as he steered Jace towards the dining room. “Anyways, we’re almost about to sit down for dinner. Why don’t you stay?”

“Are you sure?” Jace asked uncertainly. “I’d hate to intrude, but LaCienega is out with her parents tonight and I’m actually starving.”

“Yeah, it’s all good. I’ll just tell Michelle to set another seating. Whatever.”