Chapter 19

19. Love on the Ninth Floor

One million dollars. Chase paid a hefty one million dollars for the diamond necklace yet Krislynn couldn’t be any further from jumping his pants. A dark scowl deformed her once delicate features and her eyebrows seemed to be in a permanent scrunch. Of course, it didn’t cross Chase’s mind once that she could be unhappy with what he so majestically did for her and so he paid her no heed.

When the auction ended, both Chase and Seth left to claim their purchased items which were held in another room down the hall for safe keeping. Michelle squealed delightfully when they left. “That necklace he just brought? He’s giving it to you, isn’t he? That’s so sweet! You’ll have to forgive him now.”

Krislynn just stared at her unresponsively until the boys came back. She knew that billions of girls out there would feel smitten from the tips of their hair to the ends of their toes, but she was not amused in the least. There were multiple times in her life where she wished she had even ten dollars more to live on, to splurge on a burger at a fast food restaurant, but held back. Did he just spend one million dollars at the snap of a finger?

“Shell-bell, look at me!” Seth raced back into the grand room with the license plate he had been obsessing over for the last week. He had, typical male, taken off his belt to latch the license against his stomach and roared dramatically as he pretended to have won the national wrestling smack-down. “Look at all these muscles!”

Through his suit, there was no way anyone could possibly see his biceps, but he nonetheless made the masculine poses and Michelle squealed and clapped enthusiastically. “Yeah baby,” she screamed. “You go get them!”

For a moment, Krislynn thought no one else could see how chaotic the both of them were until Chase’s voice resonated from behind her. “You’re an idiot,” he said dryly.

“So shoot me.” Seth laughed as he took the belt and the license plate off. “At least I don’t have an STD.”

“Are you implying that I have one?” Chase’s face wrinkled in mock fury. “Because I so don’t! I’m totally clean.”

Seth’s face was more than skeptical when he replied. “Are you sure now?”

Flipping him the bird, Chase planted himself back down on his seat, right in between Michelle and Krislynn. “Behold ladies, the one million dollar necklace.” With a flick of his wrists, he snapped open the red velvet box in his hands and revealed the diamond locket Krislynn had fallen in love with at first glance.

Michelle gasped at the sight. “Oooh... Pretty!”

Chase beamed at her before shutting the flat box and waving it in front of Krislynn’s face. “You don’t have to thank me,” he said with his chin tilted up. “Just make sure you don’t skimp out on vacuuming under the sofas and the beds when you clean my house tomorrow.”

When there was no reply, Chase lowered his head so that he could see her before grabbing her hand and placing the box on top of her palm. “Don’t act so humble,” he muttered. “I brought it for you.”