Chapter 17

17. Masculine Instinct

It was the first time that Krislynn’s heart skipped a beat because of something Chase said, and odd enough, it wasn’t as disgusting as she thought it would be. His hand placed neatly on the base of her spine, he smoothly steered her through the throng of people to their designated table and chairs.

The feeling was completely new to her. She had been with boys – tons of them – but this was the first time she was in the arms of a man. At once she noticed the difference even in the tiny gesture of passing through clumped crowds – when Chase would bring her body closer to his, almost as if to shield her from any possible harm.

She wouldn’t break if somebody accidently brushed against her, that she knew too well. Still, that didn’t stop her from enjoying his sudden possessiveness over her and she was starting to find this protective side of him rather attractive.

Michelle and Seth were already seated and conversing with the four other guests when they arrived at their table. Two of them were older gentlemen, one an elderly lady, and the last, a man around his mid-thirties with a very average looking face.

“Ah Chase!” One of the older gentlemen spoke up when they neared the table. “Who is this gorgeous darling you have here? It’s so rare to see you bring a girl to an event. I thought you picked them up at these things.” He finished with a wink as the well powdered lady beside him swatted him on his upper arm.

“Oh you leave him alone dear,” she grumbled before turning her attention back to Chase. “So then, will you introduce us sweetheart? Who’s your friend?”

Chase hesitated just slightly before obliging. “This is Krislynn,” he said to the lot around the circular table. “My girlfriend.”

Krislynn’s eyes widened in surprise and she turned to stare at him in disbelief. This was the first time Chase had openly admitted that she was his girlfriend and she couldn’t help but think it had something to do with her makeover. Certainly he wouldn’t have introduced her otherwise if she had been wearing her regular clothes!

Tearing her eyes away, Krislynn feigned interest as he introduced the other people at the table, but her mind was still stuck on the topic. Chase Evans, the guy who thought her looks resembled that of a pig, thought she was good enough to be his girlfriend tonight.

“This old fart here is Corbin Parr,” Chase presented the balding gentleman. “He’s retired now, but he was once a famous producer and practically paved my entire career for me when I first started out in L.A.” Krislynn’s jaw fell at his rude introduction, but Corbin only threw his head back and laughed, seemingly pleased with Chase’s speech.

Krislynn quickly learned that the woman beside Corbin was his wife, and the other gentleman was an investment broker and the younger man beside him was his son. Much to her dismay, the introduction didn’t stop there as many others, mostly men, strolled by their table to greet them. Their target of interest almost always seemed to be Krislynn and she was swiftly growing tired of the atmosphere.

The only thing Krislynn thoroughly enjoyed seemed to be the food which was served in tiny portions with waiters coming around the table with new dishes every fifteen minutes or so. Drinks and shots came around every ten minutes, though knowing her own weakness against alcohol, Krislynn only took one Long Island Ice Tea.