Chapter 6

6. Far From Being Lovers

A long silence flew around them before Krislynn finally had the courage to ask, "Do you- Are you expecting me to pee... here?! Are you crazy?"

Chase only shrugged. "It's dark out and there's no one on the streets right now---just random cars. What's the big deal? Come on. Hurry up and piss before someone shows up."

"That's disgusting," Krislynn squealed. "In case you haven't noticed, I'm not you Chase---I'm not a human degenerate. I can't just piss on the side of the road."

"Touché," he laughed. "I think you just bashed the entire male race." Krislynn shot him an angry look and after a quick thought, Chase wisely decided it would probably be better to let her do what she wants if he wanted to keep his family jewels intact. "Okay. Fine. Do think you can hold it in until we reach the hotel?"

"I think I can manage," she whimpered.

"Okay. Let's go then."

The walk to the hotel was---if possible---even more irritating than finding out that the Mexican cop didn't have the key to their handcuffs. Chase wasn't sure if it was because his legs were noticeably longer, Krislynn was just a slow walker or she wasn't walking normally because she was trying to hold it in. All he knew was, five minutes of walking had passed and they weren't even half way to their destination.

"Chase," she whined for what must have been the hundredth time. "Can't you walk slower? Please. You're walking too fast."

"No, I'm walking like a normal person. Seriously, what's with you? I thought you have to pee?"

"I do," she snapped, "but my bladder is so full that if I walked any faster, it would explode. Just walk a bit slower, will you? The handcuffs are really digging into my skin."

It wasn't the first time she had mentioned this, but the whole thing was so bogus to Chase that he didn't even care. "We haven't been handcuffed for that long," he mumbled as he lifted her attached wrist up to his eye level to investigate. "You can't be serious that it hurts."

"Well, it does," she retorted, and true to word, Chase found a thick, red indent around her wrist. Almost as if she felt like it was a weakness, Krislynn snapped her arm away. "What?" She scoffed. "I just bruise and get hurt easily. No big deal. You don't have to stare at it! Just walk slower."

Chase felt his heart tug as she turned away from him. Maybe it was her genuine daintiness, but it triggered a more protective side of him and brought back older memories from his childhood. His younger sister, Isla, was this exact kind of delicateness. Or maybe she was just a klutz. Every three steps she would take, she would fall and scrape her knees. It didn't exactly help that everywhere Big Brother Chase went she felt the intense need to follow. Looking after Isla was the biggest headache in the world.

Coughing rather awkwardly, Chase silently dropped his arm back to his side before slipping each of his fingers through hers. His hand gripped on hers gently, but just tightly enough so her hand wouldn't slide out of his without his acknowledgement. "Here," he murmured softly, casting his gaze in the opposite direction. "This way, it wouldn't hurt as much, right?"