Chapter 59

Author's Note!!!! -- Okay so... just so that we're all clear, I tried really hard making the second half of this chapter NOT offensive, but if you're reading it and you go "omg this is weird, im offended" then just dont read this chapter till the very end. I mean, there's no plot twists. So there. I vaguely said it.

For the rest of you... enjoy~

  59. Warm Bodies

            It probably wasn’t the highest spot possible on the hillside; Krislynn had seen a glimpse beyond the trail Chase hadn’t taken and it seemed to stretch upwards to the mountain’s peak. Not that Krislynn was going to complain – the higher the elevation, the closer she would be to the thunder and the lightning and that was the last thing she wanted.

            The trail Chase had chosen seemed to be a lot fairer. It didn’t stretch very long, and shortly, Krislynn found herself at the edge where she could peek down at the scenery below. It might have fascinated her if it had been some other situation, but Krislynn’s body was too overwhelmed with nervous jitters to enjoy something as relaxing as watching a scenery of trees.

            Her eyes were constantly glancing upward and watching the dark clouds form shadows and ominous figures in the sky. At other times, the wind seemed to chase the clouds and they would become dark-cloaked ghosts drifting towards her. At those times, Krislynn would feel cold and cling onto Chase just a little bit tighter.

            “It’s okay to be scared you know.”

            Krislynn glanced over at Chase as he took a seat down beside her on the dirt. They were sitting down for the show, which hadn’t started even though the clouds seemed to keep brewing above them. On odd occasions, Krislynn would feel a tingle of rain fall on top of her, but when she looked up or held out her hand, no water seemed to appear.

            “I thought you didn’t want me to be scared!”

            “Yeah, but I’m not unrealistic,” he retorted. “The more you come in contact with the things that scare you, the less you’re supposed to be scared, but that doesn’t mean you’re not going to be scared of it after one time. It’s going to take more than that. As long as you don’t stay scared of it so much that you need to hide or have someone there to comfort you, I would consider that a success.”

            Krislynn nodded.

            “So right now, you can show me that you’re scared. You can scream if it surprises you. You can close your eyes and cover your ears if you need to take a break. Okay?”

            Krislynn nodded. “But I’m not really scared of lightning,” she murmured. “Just the thunder.”

            “Because it reminds you of how your parents used to fight?” Chase made a face at her after she nodded. “You know, this might not be the best time to say this, but it would make more sense if you were scared of lightning… since it can kill you and thunder can’t.”