Chapter 31

31. Chase After Her!

As soon as the figure got up and started to run, Chase ran after it. He wasn’t even sure if the figure was actually Krislynn. For all he knew, it could be some random girl from one of the neighbouring bungalows thinking some creep was coming after her with a machete. Actually, that was probably the more likely case, but he ran after her nonetheless. “Wait! Are you Krislynn? Stop running!”

The girl turned her head around and then quickly picked up the pace when she realized he was gaining speed on her. “Stop following me!” She screamed and at once, Chase recognized it was in fact Krislynn.

“What the hell?!” He yelled, confused as to what she was doing. “Why are you running away from me?”

Her response was as vague as her actions were. “Because you’re running after me!”

“You were the one who started running when I called your name!” His footsteps became heavier with every thud on the sand. “Are you honestly that mad at me?! I know what I said to LaCienega in the kitchen was brutal, but I promised I wouldn’t pull that shit again!”

“It’s not that,” she screamed. “I’m not mad!”

“No, you are mad!”

“I’m not!”

“You are!” His voice penetrated into the otherwise still night – so thunderous that it caused soft ripples on the surface of the water. “You get all deadpan every time you get super pissed off! I know you’re mad, but I told you I...” His words trailed off as his heart started racing faster and faster. If she wasn’t mad about what he said to LaCienega then could she be mad about... “Wait. Is there another reason you’re mad?”

“No,” she yelled again. “I’m not mad Chase. I just want to be by myself!”

Chase didn’t bother arguing with her this time. Instead, he sprinted and caught her wrist before pulling her into his arms. The back of her body slammed against his as his hands made their way to the side of her hips. In that position, he held her there, his chest pressed firmly into her spine, his heart still racing, drumming soft heartbeats between her shoulder blades. Standing still, Chase tried to catch his breath, hard pants skimming the side of her neck as they exited his mouth, causing her to shiver at their elusive touch.

“Don’t run,” he gasped. “Don’t run away from me anymore.”

Krislynn slowly wiggled out of his grasp as she turned around to face him. She peered at him closely before heaving a low sigh. “I guess...” Her gaze shifted downward at the sand before she looked back up at him through her eyelashes. “I guess I might have been a little bit upset.”

He knew he would be right, but her response still took him by surprise and he rapidly grabbed her wrist and squeezed it tightly in his hand. “At what?” He asked. Eagerness rushed through his body and he wasn’t exactly sure why her answer was so important to him, but it was. His logic couldn’t comprehend it – only felt the intense sensation of deep anticipation through his every pore. He could only grasp and understand bits and pieces from his brain – that her answer, whatever it might, was exceptionally important to his heart.