Chapter 18: Preparing for the Annual Recital

"Girls, moms, get in here, we have a busy week ahead of us and we have tons to do!" Sebastian yelled as the moms and the girls all walked into Studio A and it was a new week.

"You all did good in Indianapolis at the Masters of Dance Arts, i wish i could say the same for one dancer." Abby said, eyeing Maddie, reminding her that she had lost because of a scoring error that originally said that she won.

"All right, pyramid time."

Pyramid:

Top - Mackenzie

Middle - Chloe, Asia, Paige

Bottom - Nia, Brooke, Kendall, Maddie

Melissa was seething on the inside, she still couldn't believe her older daughter lost to Mackenzie because of a scoring error and she still believed that Abby and Sebastian didn't want Maddie to win and met with a scoring judge, but the judge found the error himself.

"This week, there will be no competition because this sunday, you will be performing at the annual Abby Lee Dance Company recital and that's going to be hectic for all of you, quick changes, back to back routines. For assigments, everyone will be doing a solo, old ones will be done by most of you." Sebastian stated, then he eyed Maddie. "Maddie, you are going to be doing the only new solo, what that means is that the pressure is on."

Maddie nodded as Melissa looked bewildered, she couldn't believe that Sebastian was giving her older daughter the only new solo for the recital, she wouldn't have minded if she could have done one of her old solos, but a new one meant that she would have pressure on her.

"You'll be doing a tap routine, so you've got to be focused." Abby said. "Did i forget to tell you all that you'll be in for a special treat, because my son will be singing at the recital and the song he'll sing is one of his all time favorite Michael Jackson songs, Bad."

Sebastian had a smile on his face, he was a big fan of Michael Jackson because he had bought so many of his albums and Bad was the album he played the most as the girls and moms all looked at him and clapped for him.

"The group routine will be called Electric Avenue, by Eddy Grant." Abby then added.

"We're gonna rock down to electric avenue and then we'll take it higher!" Sebastian sang as the girls and their moms laughed and even Abby laughed.

"Sebastian, you are something else." Abby laughed.

"That's our Sebastian." Christi added.

"What will he come up with next?" Kelly asked.

"You never know." Kristie stated.

"Ok, we'll get started with the group routine first and then we'll do Maddie's solo, moms, you're dismissed and girls, start getting ready." Sebastian stated as the girls started to stretch and the moms headed to the viewing room to watch the rehearsals and to talk about the recital.

"I don't understand something." Melissa said.

"What don't you understand?" Jill wondered.

"I do not understand why Abby and Sebastian are giving Maddie a new solo? I'm sorry, but i cannot let those two have power over Maddie."

"They gave her a new solo last year and you didn't complain." Christi stated.

"It's a great oppourtunity for Maddie to learn something new." Kristie told Melissa.

"And also it's gonna be fantastic to hear Sebastian sing." Kelly then said.

"It's obvious that he's going to bring the house down with his performance." Jill added.

"But i think Maddie would be fine doing one of her old solos and if she does this new solo, she's gonna crack under pressure, i know it. Because when it comes to a recital, you have to do old dances, not new ones because it'll bring a lot of pressure on you." Melissa told them.

"If you keep complaining, then they won't be giving Maddie these oppourtunites." Jill warned.

"Yeah, you've got to let it go." Kristie stated.

"I would have been honored if Abby and Sebastian gave Chloe a new solo for the recital." Christi honestly said to the other moms.

Back downstairs in Studio A, the girls were all in their spots, ready to rehearse the group dance, then when the music started, Sebastian and Gianna showed them the moves and then the girls began doing the moves.

"Gia, mom, do you two notice that Maddie is slacking in the group dance?" Sebastian observed.

"Yes, we see it too, Seb." Gianna added.

"There's no way she's capable of leading the group dance." Abby said.

"Maybe we should put Mackenzie in the lead, at least she doesn't have an ego, she, like Chloe puts the team first." Gianna stated.

"Good idea." Abby agreed, then she turned off the music. "All right, let's switch spots, Mackenzie you're in the lead and Maddie, you're in the background."

Maddie was slightly upset as she switched sports with Mackenzie, not before lightly shoving her, then they rehearsed the group dance again and it was looking good as Melissa glared at Abby, Sebastian and Gianna.

The next day at the front desk, Abby and Sebastian were watching a clip of Michael Jackson performing Bad during the concert in Wembley in 1988, and Sebastian was looking forward to it, then they hear the door open, they looked up and saw that Christi, Kelly, Kristie, Jill and Holly were coming in with Costumes.

"What's on both of your minds?" Kelly asked.

"Melissa has been behaving like she runs things, she's yelled at us, she's disrespected her younger daughter, my son, Gianna, the faculty, other dancers and their moms and me. And Maddie has a huge ego and they need to let it go." Abby told them with an mad expression.

"We are not going to allow this anymore, because she is on the verge of her first strike and even after the first strike, she'd better be careful or she and Maddie are out." Sebastian added.

"Why is she being so offensive over you two giving Maddie a new solo?" Christi asked.

"Yeah, they should be more appreciative." Jill said. "At least Mackenzie would've been appreciative over being given a new solo."

"She sure would have." Abby agreed. "And as crazy as Leslie can be at times, Melissa is becoming worse."

"And i noticed that you've been slowly but surely coming together against her and last week when Melissa yelled at Mackenzie, we were all there for her." Sebastian reminded as He, Abby and the moms continued to talk.