[Chapter Fifty-Four]

Chapter Fifty-Four

Every single day we spent with them was a blessing and every day they learned something new. After talking with everyone at work I would on maternity leave and then working for home for at least six months; once I had them I couldn't let them go.

The nurses told us to sleep when they did but for three days we spent most of it staring at them as they slept. They were everything I hoped they would be. They were almost seven pounds now and we had a woman who stopped in every couple days to check on them and us. Maybe it was excessive but Chase didn't care about the cost and neither did I.

We were so afraid of something going wrong but after a few weeks we got the hang of it; at least for now. Chase was taking two months off work but after a month he worked from home a little bit; admittedly so did I.

Everyone was as in love with them as we were. Lina and Mia were always wanting to hold them and they did very well with as many people that came around. They got fussy if they were away from us too long though. All the bonding at the hospital paid off; they were very close and comforted when Chase held them too.

When I was pregnant I kept expecting to fail every day after having them; I didn't expect it to go this well. We were prepared for the sleepless nights, crying and we've been around infants to know how to keep patience when they just want to cry.

Sometimes nothing we do will make them stop and then all of the sudden they figure out what they want; usually food, and they're fine. We got professional photos done as a small family and a large one; we wanted to make sure that their aunts, uncles, cousins and grandparents were a huge part in their life.

Some days I refused to let anyone come over because I missed them. Everytime they were passed around my heart hurt to have them back in my arms. Chase watched everybody like a hawk even though they knew what they were doing.

We were the last to have kids; they were all parents but that didn't stop us from nearly following them around. When they were out of my site my stomach would drop because that sad feeling would sink in. My stomach was flabby and sagging but I was working out to try and tone it in.

It's been a month and I still wasn't used to putting my hand on a small stomach. There were days I would reach for my belly and my hand kapt going farther than I anticipated. During those times I would look down and then look for my babies.

Riley got amused every time someone held one of them and were getting them situated because Chase would tell them how to hold the baby; literally every single time. They never took it personally because everyone had been there.

You can't just shut off your worry because you know Grandma has Maria and Auntie has Markus. There was no stopping any of it. The day they turned a month old we invited out family over to show them the photos and to announce their godparents.

Godparents didn't just mean who would take care of them in the event something happened and we both died. But that fear was still with me everyday. We had godparents and we never thought anything of it besides that was who mom and dad picked to be extra special in our lives.

We never thought a crash would take them both. We were adults though. But that was morbid and I didn't want to think about something like that ever happening again to us.

So we ate and Chase and I were also coming up on our first anniversary; we were retreating for the weekend for that one. Grandma and Grandpa were going to watch them for the weekend because they insisted that it was what grandparents did. They also intended to steal them literally whenever they could.