Boiling Point

Ken’s POV

Dark, that was my first thought. It was either that or I was blinded. How long I have been outcold I’m not sure, much more know the time of the day.

I was on my knees, hands tied behind me, ankle shackled.

The place was cold and misty; there were no windows where the sun can shine through, something I was thankful for. Our kind can last at least a week without water, but put under the sun- well you can just picture it.

I closed my eyes searching for the nearest water source, it was a small river a few kilometres from where we were, rerouting the path would take days and energy I don’t have at the moment. Then again, it was intriguing how a building has no water at all.

I focused my attention on the water source and searched for the first thing that came into my mind when I woke up.

Fate.

I was too weak to do anything, aside from checking if Fate was safe, and the calm in my mind when thinking of her is enough to assure me that she is. Now, if I can just leave a trail that I tried to reach that river mentally, my sisters will find it.

I took another breath and pulled my wrist apart, feeling the burn of the rope. The mist was helping me at present, but the longer I stayed there meant a long slow death.

Soon enough I heard a door open and light burst into the room. I looked away, squinting against the light.

“I would stop fidgeting if I were you…” I heard a familiar voice, “it would just cut through your skin.” I glared at her as she walked nearer, “The man who tied you up means business, there’s no getting out of that hold.”

“What do you want Lana?” I said with a hoarse whisper.

“Stop acting tough Ken, you are really in no position to.” She says standing over me. “I’m here as a friend, believe it or not.”

I gave a sarcastic laugh, “Well, it can’t get any friendlier than this.”

“Shut up.” She snapped.

“What do you want with me?”

“Not with you, but with your mate.”

I frowned and tried to rush to her but was pulled back by the chains, “Leave Fate alone.”

“Oh, don’t worry…” she says, “As long as we have you she isn’t any trouble to us.” I gave her a questioned look, until , slowly, things fell into place.

“She’s the daughter-“

“I didn’t’ say that.” Lana cuts in, “But for some reason my father thinks she is.”

“Father?”

Step father, I guess. Better than nothing, right? I mean, your dad made your life miserable without even trying, didn’t he?” I closed my fist holding back my anger. “Anyway, you obviously got the puzzle together. Without you, her mate, she won’t be able to shift. Thus she won’t have her mother’s power.”

I stifled a laugh, “You have got these all wrong.”

“What?”

“The real daughter of the moon is still alive…” I said. “Aunt Serenity is still the daughter of the moon, the next daughter would not come for years-“

“That’s the thing, we only know the arrival of daughters years apart. No one knows how it is when the daughters would bear pups.”

I frowned, that was true.