Almost, But Not Quite

Chance’s POV

“Well, it seems like everything is going as planned.” I teased my mom.

She grinned as she fixes up the fruit juice for dinner. “Very funny.”

I chuckled. “No I mean, you want me to control myself and my wolf and it’s Fate who’s starting fights.”

“I know…” she sighed.

“Hey, mom… I’m just teasing.” I jumped down from the counter and walked to her, “Those boys had it coming, Fate had always been on the side of those who are bullied, even in LA, you can’t just expect her to change that.”

“I know, and I don’t want you guys to change, its just…” she turned to me, worried. “It’s not humans we’re dealing it.”

“We’re dealing with shifters.” I say, as if telling her I’m aware of that, “We’re dealing with our kind. You always told us that we can’t please anyone, but we can always put ourselves in the right place.”

“And do you know where your place is?”

“We’re here to lead them, or at least that’s what our family line says.” I said, “It’s all so new to me, and I’m sure it’s new to Fate. But I can’t say that we’d never get a hang of it.”

My mother just smiled at me and nodded, I smiled and hugged her, she kissed me on the forehead. Our sappy moment was cut off by the oven’s bell indicating that the mac & cheese was cooked. She tousled my hair before letting me go and moving to the oven.

I watch her move around the kitchen, it wasn’t even hers but it was like she knew where everything was.

But that shouldn’t surprise me; this was how she deals with problems, cooking.

She would cook for hours, inviting Aunt Jean for dinner or Ken and the boys, the cheerleaders, Hope’s friends. She feeds us until she was sure that everything will be fine.

And right now, she was not convinced.

“Well, let’s get this to your sister.” She says, setting the tray to the trolley.

I nodded and pushed the trolley out of the kitchen and to Fate’s room.

Since we got home from school she locked herself in there, and snuggled to dad instantly when she checked on her.

Mom said it was the father- daughter bond. She said that a male shifter always had that feel of safety around him felt by their children; while the mother brings the comfort of home and calm.

It is true.

Hope use to snuggle up to mom when she was scared. She didn’t stay with dad because she wasn’t scared outside our house. She was, most of the time, in panic.

Hope. I sighed, we dropped by the hospital and had her moved back to her dorm room and was looked after by Mama Ellena.

According to her, if she doesn’t wake up by tomorrow, they’ll be taking her home to Aunt Jean. Her presence, though asleep, will help Hope heal. Or at least that’s what they say.

My fear of seeing her sprawled unconscious on the floor that night… I would lie if I say that I wasn’t mad. It took all my control to stay there beside her and not look for the boys who hurt her.

Gary had that under control.

Even Uncle Cole left that to him while they forced me to leave and go to school.

School, it’s a crap.

It’s like I’m listening to some bunch of fairy tales, but I know that’s a lie, I’ve seen wolves all over the academy. Mom and dad shifting in front of us, the palace guards- it’s crazy. It was like I was in a pound or something.