Love Heals

*italicized paragraph are flashbacks/dreams/mind links/thoughts

OST: Rent

Serenity’s POV

I stared at Jean’s sleeping figure, her breathing was calm, normal... but she was weak.

I sighed and reached for her hand praying for her to wake up soon. I glanced on the other side of the bed and saw Hope staring at Jean, just staring at her face and not moving.

“Hope?” I called, “Love, you’ve been here the whole day, would you want to take a walk? Stretch your leg or-“

“No thank you.” she said, her tone lost of any emotion.

“At least eat something love.” I said walking toward her and reach for her shoulder, but she moved away from my touch.

I frowned and stared at her, she wasn’t blinking not even look up at me. I knew she was hurting, the cold that radiates from her is a proof of that. But there was nothing I can do, it Jean’s story to tell, not mine.

“Hope…” I knelt in front of me. “I know you are mad at me, but please…” I brush away the hair from her face and try to make her look at me, “please find it in your heart to listen. I did not mean to hurt you or-“

“Just leave me alone.” She says.

“Hope-“

This time she turn to me, stare at me with her cold eyes. “You won’t tell me what happened, then you are no help to me.”

I try to fight back the tears that were making its way out, I didn’t want her to forgive me out of pity, I needed her to understand. So I just nodded and stood up. But before I go I give her a kiss on forehead, one she didn’t move away from.

“She can feel your sadness, love, she can feel your pain.” I whispered. “Calm down and clear your mind, it might help to heal her.”

She doesn’t answer so I took that as my cue to leave.

I stepped outside and closed the door, I leaned on the wall and finally let the tears out. She may not be my daughter, but the pain in my heart was as real as it can be. It was one thing that they found out of the lie we had kept about Hope’s identity, but it was a whole other thing to lie to myself that I wasn’t hurting.

I dropped on my knees and cried until I was gasping for breath.

“Serenity…” I felt him wrap his arms around me, and set me on his lap, “shh, it’s alright… everything will be alright…”

I shook my head as I laid my head on his shoulder. “She hates me, Eric… Hope hates me…”

“She doesn’t hate you…” he says, “you said it yourself, she feels betrayed and is hurting… we can’t just expect her to take this so easily and be understanding. We lied to her, we taught them not to but we kept the biggest lie to them.” I sobbed as Eric ran his hand up and down my back, “It doesn’t matter if it was meant to save her, we could have told them the truth and still save her, but we chose to lie. We need to pay for our mistake, just like how we taught them that they are to be punished when they lie.”

“This isn’t punishment.” I shook my head, “My daughters hate me, my son is beyond furious and Cole…” another sob escape from me.

Remembering when we told Cole of the truth, he went crazy and had practically screamed at me and wrecked a good part of the house and screamed at me some more, and even got to a point to threaten me, of course Eric had to step in after that.