Taking Chances

*italicized paragraph are flashbacks/dreams/mind links/thoughts

I stared at Eric remembering his little break out last night.

I knew exactly what he felt, and somehow, I understood father more than ever.

All those days that they locked us in and kept guards around us, this was why.

There came a point where I had to be kept away from the wolves themselves, our very kind was looking for me with no good intentions.

The memory of Eric stepping in the fight between Cole and a random alpha on my way home eighteen years ago caused goosebumps to run up my spine.

I look behind me and saw the kids sitting at the corner of the room, being served by the alpha female herself, Gary and Cole hovering over them. Adrian was at the RV looking after Jean.

Fate hasn’t let go of Ken’s hand since we arrived.

Hope had stuck beside Chance since she stepped out of the RV.

There was no threat here, I know that much.

Well, maybe those younger shifters eyeing them. Either hoping to be mated or just to cause trouble.

I frowned having that thought and remembering how we got here in the first place.

“We’d need a good tracker.” Cole says as we talk about the attack.

“We don’t have the time to look for one.” I said. “And even if we did, it would mean we’d have to talk with his alpha, last time I checked, trackers are kept within the pack alone seeing that there aren’t much of good ones you can trust nowadays.”

Cole grinned at me, “That is where you step in.”

“What?” Eric asked.

“I won’t demand a tracker from an alpha, Cole.” I rolled my eyes.

He chuckled, “You might not have to.” He says, “The next town is the home of Clear Water Pack, you remember the alpha?”

“Adam Wilson.” Eric says, rolling his eyes.

“And what do I have to do with him?” I asked.

“He was one of your courters, remember?” Cole says, “And let’s just say, he seem to have not outgrown the fact that Eric beat him.”

“Oh c’mon… we are not doing this.” I said. “That’s like promising him sex in exchange!”

“I don’t think it would go that far.” He says. “Pride, princess, we’ll be using pride. He’ll say his old crap like how he could have done better and shit like that, then he’ll try to prove it.”

“And what if he doesn’t prove it?” Eric asked.

Cole snorted. “Please, the guy’s an idiot really, he met his mate while he was courting Serenity. Got her pregnant and didn’t mark her wanting to still have a chance with Serenity. The guy’s totally power hungry and would pretty much do anything right now.”

“I still don’t get how this is a clean plan.” I whined.

“He has a son, his heir…” Cole says, “Met him once during one of the parties at home, amazing tracking talent. Probably the best since Aaron and Jake.”

“No, I will not take his son away from him for our gain no matter what an ass he was.” I frowned.

Cole sighed and crossed his arms over his chest staring at me. “You know princess, after you left, we found out a little something too.”