On the Edge

Ken’s POV

There was no response from Aunt Serenity, but her frown was enough for me to know what she was thinking. 

It certainly has been a long day for all of us already.

I turned around at the same moment my mother cut through the water’s surface.

“Mother…” my sisters greet and bowed.

I took a deep breath and collected all courage to walk up to the woman gliding to the banks of the lake, her tail slowly taking the shape of human legs.

She was just as I remembered her, white long hair that shows her wisdom and her deep blue eyes that shows her royal heritage.

“Drakken.” She says, not giving my sisters a glance, I can’t say the same for me though.

“Mother.”

She gave a cold smile and look me over, walking toward me reaching for my face. “You’ve grown.”

“I have.”

“Wiser I hope.” She says, her eyes piercing mine.

“Be careful what you wish for mother.” I said.

She gave a snicker and stepped back, “I’m guessing you still refuse to go home.”

“You guessed correctly.” I said, with more conviction than I wanted, but I’m not arguing.

“I guess sending your sisters was a mistake on my end too.” She says, glancing at them this time, “I sent you to take him home, by force if needed, and yet I seem to be five daughters short at home.”

“Our apologies mother-“

“Silence Allana, your insolence says enough,” my mother cut in, “I cannot have you waste any more of my time.”

I frowned, this was not good. Her mere appearance here is not good at all, much more her anger. I stepped forward to speak for my sisters but what was there for me to say? That I dragged them into this mess? A mess that could start a misunderstanding between weres and meres?

“Your highness…”

Aunt Serenity walked up beside me, just as graceful and calm as she always was. Mother turned to her with a look of disgust, giving her a ones over.

“Aunt Serenity-“

“It’s fine Ken.” She smiles, “An introduction is necessary, don’t you think?”

I stared at her for a moment, she gave me another encouraging smile and it was all I needed to gain my back bone against my mother.

“Mother, meet Serenity, princess of the werewolves, and the daughter of the moon.” I say, “Aunt Serenity, my mother, Queen Leonore of Kendrall the Atlantic Kingdom.”

“It is an honour to finally meet Ken’s mother.” She says holding out her hand, “Now I know where the girls got their lust for surprise visits.”

Mother stared at Aunt Serenity’s hand then at her, “If you are here to persuade me on making my son stay, do not bother, that cannot be done.”

“I’m not.” Aunt Serenity says, “I believe that that is something you and son must decide yourselves, in private if I might add.” She gave me a look, one that I’ve been too familiar with growing up. “But I would want to request one thing.”

“I have no intention of making any bargains with you or with anyone, so there is no sense with us talking, is there, bitch?” I felt the shifters around us stiffened, even Chance has his fist in a ball, controlling himself. “Hold your mutts down and I might listen.”