Step Up

Ximm’s POV

I stood by my window watching the sunrise, waiting for my mom and dad to pick me up to go to the dungeon where I would be shifting tonight.

I can feel it, tonight’s the night. What aunt Serenity said about trusting my wolf to take over, repeats itself non-stop. I wasn’t one to not accept a legitimate advice, but there was something that was holding me back.

Something’s missing, or rather, someone.

I shrugged again as I watched the new shifters down at the training grounds. I’m supposed to be one of those new shifters. I wasn’t supposed to be with the human trainings.

I’m supposed to be teaching my wolf to fight now.

To protect my pack and my family.

To protect my mate.

I gave another deep sigh and looked away.

“You ok?”

I turned around and saw my dad at the door.

“Is it time already?” I frowned.

He smiled and gave me a look, “You tell me.”

I gave him a weird look and then glanced at the clock. “Last time you came before noon.”

“Yeah…” he grinned, “that was the plan until your Aunt Serenity and Uncle Eric took over the kitchen cooking for the twin’s birthday breakfast, apparently it’s a family custom to have banana pancakes on Sundays and more of it during birthdays.” he says making his way toward my bed and sat by the foot before he tapped the space beside me.

I raised a brow, the last time he gave me that gesture was when I was thirteen years old and was told about birds and the bees. Let’s just say that didn’t really go well afterwards.

“It’s not about that…” he chuckled, “I’m leaving that to your mom.”

“Dad, worse idea ever…”I groaned making him laugh pushing myself to sit beside him.

There was a comfortable silence before he started to tell me of his intentions.

“You know…” he said, “your aunt Serenity never got her wolf on time; she had to wait for months before she was able to find her wolf. Your Uncle Liam had to fight harder with his wolf so he can take back his control.”

“And yet you, mom, uncle Jake and uncle Aaron shifted on time.” I said before he could.

“We did.” He nodded. “We were lucky to have our wolves near and able to communicate with them easily.”

“You and mom didn’t have problems, what’s wrong with me?” I ask looking down at my hands.

“Maybe.” I looked up at him with frown. “The night I shifted, you want to know what I was thinking?”

“Mom?”

“No.” he said, “It was another lady though.”

“Dad!” I groaned.

“Now get your head out of the gutter, Ximm.” He laughed. “I was actually thinking of your grandma.”

“Grandma?”

“Yup.”

“Why?”

“Before I went into that dungeon and lock myself she went to talk with me, just like this.”

“What about?”

“Why it was necessary for me to shift.”

“Well, duh?” I mumbled.