Nobody's Home

*italicized paragraph are flashbacks/dreams/mind links/thoughts

Title from Avril Lavigne

Hope’s POV

“I’ll go get mom.” I hear Fate say, I tightened my hold on her shirt. I just knew that if she leaves me I’ll crumble to oblivion. “Stay here with Chance, ok?”

Of course, it’s a whole different story with Chance there. I shifted from Fate’s hold toward Chance’s lap. I hid my face in his chest as I continued to cry.

I heard him sigh, sounding tired and felt him tuck my hair behind my ear, I moved closer to him, not wanting to lose the feeling of safety that he brought with him.

It had always been like this, whenever I cry, I would end up on his lap while he sooth and calm me down. Fate has her way of calming me down, but Chance was different. It was almost like he has mom’s way of speaking with me.

If it was up to me I’d never leave his side. Never stray far from the protection his arms always had, from the assurance his words gave, and from the kisses that was filled with love.

I took a deep breath, taking along his scent. That scent that had cradled me to sleep almost every night.

All these years that I have whined about him and dad not letting Fate and I out on dates was not entirely their fault. I refused to see any guy who wasn’t near as good and loving as Chance. I would always measure them up to him, and if they don’t size up, then they’re not worth it. At first I thought it was normal, like how a girl would want a husband just like his dad… but no, I’ve always wanted someone like Chance. Always has and always will.

Then a flash of that moment at the party came into mind. When Kate said something about Chance being gay, what was that about?

I thought she loved him?

That was why I gave up my little fantasy of my big brother cause, aside from its wrong, I wanted him and Katy to be together.

Then she says those things.

I remembered when I asked him if it was true, he thought I was asking him if I looked like a whore. What I wanted to know was if what Katy said about him gay was true.

Not that it would be different betweens us, but I needed to know if I love a man who was gay- and not to mention my brother.

I gave a low sigh; that I don’t even know if Chance heard. There were a lot of wrong things in that statement.

Then I remember Dean, I thought he was the solution to my problem. I would admit that it took a while before I can fully trust him, but thinking about it now. I guess I did truly trust him, the fact that I would escape the house to meet up with him- alone, of all things.

He made me laugh, he listened, he was patient and loving. Just like how Chance is.

So seeing him mad and in rage… a sob escape from me.

“Shh, big brother’s here.” he whispered.

I closed my eyes shaking away the memory of Dean’s angry screaming face.

“He was so angry Chance…” I said, burying my face into his chest.

“And I would have punched him for shouting at you like that.” he said.

I grinned, imagining Chance socking Dean if only he wasn’t supposed to be in a coma. Then I felt him reach for the tip of my hair and twirled it around his finger, just like he always does when he wants me to understand something. Like always, it brought a tingle down my neck that left me a chill but Chance breathe on my hair solved that problem.