49.

It's another night on the couch for Charlie. I did offer to take a turn but he's still insisting on me having our bed, although with the wincing at his back pain I'm sure he's guilt tripping me.

After folding up the spare duvet I laid out for him the next morning I sat down at the table waiting for my breakfast to be brought over, I have a late start at work so I'm taking advantage of Charlie being in the kitchen.

"How many eggs babe?" he asked.

"Just the one."

"Here we go then."

"Thank you."

"Coffee's on its way."

"Is there enough for Aston?" I asked, although I don't know why I even care.

"He's already gone, left the house about six."

"Oh."

"He didn't say a word so I don't know where he's gone, hopefully he's got a new job," he said joining me with the same breakfast just double in size.

Sausages, bacon, beans, mushrooms, egg and toast all smelling delicious in front of me I tucked in thinking more of my lips than my hips. I've convinced myself this is okay as long as I have no lunch and a salad for dinner, maybe a jacket potato.

"What are you doing today?" I asked.

"I've got a few things to sort out, so I'll be out and about in London for most of the day."

"Regarding the house?"

"No I told you that's sorted, this is work."

"Oh okay."

I'm due in the office at ten so after tidying up the kitchen I picked up my bag and left the house around half past nine. I have yet another busy day on the cards, I never thought I'd say this and it is slightly hypocritical but I'm starting to get fed up of this place. I suppose I've got too much on my mind to enjoy the usual banter.

Half way through my shift I heard my phone suddenly vibrate under the table in my bag, the only time I'd get a phone call at work is if its important.

"Sarah, can I get this please? I think its important," I asked.

"Ok, but don't be long," she replied.

"Thank you."

Taking it from my bag I scuttled off out of the way and answered it, it's Charlie.

"Hello, Kayleigh?" he spoke.

"Hello, is everything alright?"

"Yeah I'm fine babe."

"Oh, I thought something was wrong. I'm at work, you worried me."

"Sorry, I thought you would be on your lunch."

"I've just finished it."

"Anyway, I've had a phone call from the hospital."

"I thought nothing was wrong?"

"It's not, listen.."

"Sorry," I mumbled.

"They've had a cancellation so I've got an appointment at quarter to six. They want to do some scans and asses me properly."

"Oh, well I can come with you."

"No it's fine, I was just letting you know."

"I finish work at five so I'll meet you there."

"There's no need," he insisted.

"No, I want to. I'll meet you there about quarter past."

"Alright then."

"Is there anything else? I need to get back."

"That's all. I'll see you later."

"Okay, see you then."

"Bye babes."

Tucking my phone away as I walked past the others I sat back at my desk and continued where I left off. Considering all the hatred I did have for Charlie whilst he was away I'm now surprisingly worried sick, these appointments and scans are making the situation so much more scary. Heart problems are not something to take lightly.

"Everything alright?" Clare asked.

"Yeah, nothing that won't sort itself."

"Well I'm here if you need a chat."

"Thank you, I'll bare that in mind," I smiled.

With tons of work still to do at three o'clock I never thought I'd leave on time, and I didn't, but I suppose ten minutes late is better than an hour. My handbag in the passenger I set off to the hospital situated fifteen minutes away, I can only hope there's no traffic because Charlie's never had the patience to wait for anyone.

Eventually arriving and finding a space in the nightmare of the car park I made my way up to the front entrance.

"Hello, can I help?" the woman at reception asked politely.

"Kayleigh," Charlie called behind me.

"No I'm fine thank you," I smiled.

Catching sight of him sitting on the back row in the waiting room I walked over and sat down on the spare seat beside him.

"Sorry I'm late," I said.

"It's alright, I think they're late themselves."

"Have you been here long?"

"Only since half past."

"I thought I'd never get out of the office."

"I told you that you didn't have to come."

"I want to be here, it's no trouble."

"Charlie Evans," a doctor called from one of the side rooms.

Nodding we both stood up.

"If you'd like to follow me Sir."

"Actually babe, I think I better go on my own," he said.

"But I thought you would want support."

"I do, it's just.."

"Mr Evans?" the doctor repeated.

"I won't be long."

"Go on," I shrugged sitting back down.

Smiling weakly he walked off.

I'm not sure if there's any point in me being here now, I thought Charlie would want someone by his side and someone to listen to the facts with. I didn't expect or plan to sit outside in the waiting room, I could do the same job at home.

Grabbing a hot chocolate from the machine just across the room I pulled my phone out from my pocket and checked any messages. I've had so many things on my mind I haven't even had time to text my best friend, never mind tell her Charlie's home. I must text Chloe.

"Hiya, sorry I haven't been in contact babe I've had lots going on. Charlie's home and I've got things to sort but I'll come and see you soon :) xx."

"Hiya hun. Seriously? I thought Charlie was away for another couple of months yet. I hope you're okay xx."

"He's came home sick, it's complicated but we're both okay. I'll fill you in as soon as I can :) x."

"Okay babe, but what about things with Aston? x."

"That's even more complicated :( xx."

"Text me if you need me babe, no matter what the time xx."

"Thank you, that means a lot xx."

I sat waiting for Charlie for another forty-five minutes, yet he still hasn't came out. I'm starting to think he's not telling me everything..

~♥️~

Vote for the next part..

Ps. Don't think the drama is over, please be patient :)