44.

Sitting upright in bed I rummaged under the duvet for Aston's hand squeezing it tight for support. The noise seemed to be getting louder, so loud I dread to think of all the damage. I feel sick with nerves. I've always had nightmares about break-ins.

"It's alright, I'll go and have a look," Aston said stroking my hand with his thumb.

"But.." I stuttered.

"Stay here and you'll be fine."

Picking up his underwear from the floor he passed mine back and tip-toed across the carpet, putting his ear to the door quietly to listen. Clipping my bra back around my chest I slipped on my knickers and covered myself up with a dressing gown, tying the belt securely.

"Babe shh," Aston said wafting his hand back to me sitting perched at the bottom of the bed. "I can hear them talking."

I gulped as he creaked the door open hoping to get just a glimpse of the person responsible.

"I can't see anything."

"Kayleigh?" a voice suddenly called out.

"Oh my god it's.." I mumbled.

"Who?"

"It's Charlie."

Stuttering Aston backed away from the door feeling reality hit us both like a ton of bricks.

"No."

"I know that voice, I know it's him."

"Well what is he doing home?!"

"I don't know!"

"Did he tell you he was coming back?"

"No, of course not!"

Scrapping around the bedroom picking up Aston's clothes from the floor I threw them into his hands and pushed him in the on suite out of the way.

"What are you doing?"

"He can't see you in here like this, he'll know something is going on."

"So what am I supposed to do?"

"Just have a shower or something. I don't know," I weeped.

"Alright, go on," he nodded. "I'll stay here."

Hearing Charlie's heavy footsteps again I took a deep breath, checked my appearance and left the room. Anyone would think it really is a burglar I'm facing.

"Charlie?" I spoke standing back against the door shutting it tight.

"Kayleigh."

As he swung around from the bathroom door and looked at me directly in the face I stood stunned. I haven't seen him for over a month, it took me all my time to get over speaking to him over the phone never mind seeing him again. It's like the past is fear.

"Whats with all the noise?"

"I've been looking for you."

"In the cupboards?" I frowned noticing the mess in the kitchen.

"No, you've moved all the cups and plates haven't you."

"I've done some spring cleaning that's all," I said putting his usual mug on top of the worktop.

"It's August."

"Tea or Coffee?"

"Coffee. I've had a long flight."

Flicking on the kettle I hovered awkwardly wondering if Aston's listening from my bedroom.

"Why are you here?" I eventually asked, the only answer I care about.