TWENTY-FIVE

All of the mages in the church were suiting up. They were preparing for the battle ahead. Kenji was the target, but I wondered if even with all of this firepower was it going to be enough. I probably should have told them their armor wasn't going to mean shit against Ban and Kenji.

They were so focused, so sure that they were going to win. I didn't want to crush their dreams and bring down morale. Of course, most of the people here wouldn't listen to me anyway. I was just some stupid demon in their mind.

Leaning against the wall in their armory I bit into the apple Soji had given me after breakfast. He wasn't in here with the others. Soji knew that the armor was just for sure. He was making his own preparation for his part in this battle. Raising the apple to my mouth again it was taken from my fingers. My eyes shifted to the left of me as I watched Fang bite into the fruit.

"Ready for your slaughter?" Fang asked holding the apple out to me. I didn't take it. I had no idea where Fang's mouth been or more importantly who he's been putting his mouth on. I might couldn't get any human sickness, but I still didn't want to risk it.

He said me, but he would be a part of this Fang as well. His power would be useful in the battle to come. I didn't want to get hopeful. I was afraid that if I allowed myself to think today we were going to kill Kenji and Ban something was going to go wrong.

"I died once. It wasn't so bad." Of course, that was a lie. My death was awful. It made me cling to life harder. It made me come back as something that was greater than what I had been. I wanted life so badly I became a demon in order to live.

"You have bigger problems than death at the moment," Fang said and I frown I always considered not dying to be my main focus in this world. Fang pointed towards a cluster of the mages that were in the room. My eyes followed as I saw Rai.

Sighing I pushed off the wall walking towards Rai. What did she think she was doing? It was like this girl couldn't wait to die. No, she was just a teenager. She didn't know what it meant for her life to be in true danger. Even as we went after the other demons, she had been protected. This wasn't that kind of battle. There would be no standing on the side lines and watching.

I grabbed the chest plate that Rai was adjusting around herself. She paused looking up at me. I glared down at her. I tried to give her the same look that Shu would have been giving her right now if he was here. The mark was probably missed by a mile but still she got the point.

"How did that get there," she gave a nervous laugh. Looking around as if someone was actually going to answer her. I watched as the other mages stepped away from us. They were more than likely moving away from me. They wouldn't want the taint of a demon to touch them or whatever nonsense they teach here.

"Rai . . ." I started and she shook her head wildly. Brown hair was tossed around her face.

"If you're going after Kenji I should be there." Her voice held a whine to it. Reaching out I pushed my fingers through her hair. She was a strong girl, such a brave child. Rai was a child though, only fourteen. She had her whole life ahead of her. There was no need for her to so recklessly throw it away.

"I know you want this. I know how important this is for you. I understand the burning need inside of you. I have that same need inside of me, Rai. I lost my family in the worse kind of way. I watched them die in front of my face. Even worse it was at a time when demons were just in the Bible or on TV. So I know, believe me I know."

I knew how much this meant to her. I knew what it was like to be driven by one thought. How the want and need to end the person that took everyone from you could be. I knew the desire that fueled her fire. I also knew that it was pointless. I have come across Ban so many times and each time he could have killed me again. Kenji wasn't Ban and Rai wasn't me. Kenji would kill her just for shits and giggles.