THIRTEEN

The next morning we all left after breakfast. Driving to the Demon Hunter bar we all stood in front of the board to see who our target would be. Just as always Ban and Kenji remained on the board untouched by everyone who didn't have a death wish.

My eyes stayed on Ban's smiling face. Just as beautiful as every. He stared from the picture as if he was looking at me. I could hear Mother Fate's words. She asked me if I loved Ban. How could anyone love a demon? I'm a demon. I'm incapable of love. Even if I could love Ban has only earned my undeniable hatred.

Shaking silly thoughts like love out of my head I cast my eyes away from Ban so that I could look at the rest of the board. A C-class demon would be best for this team. It was strong enough to get us some money. Weak enough to be used as the practice we needed in order to get our teamwork down pack.

Looking at my ragtag team of misfits I wondered if teamwork even existed between us. Rai hated Soji because I kissed him. Emiko hated me because I was a demon. Soji was free loving and smiles all around. What was I? Annoyed with all three of them.

Pulling a page from the board I looked at the demon on it. The Soul Demon Azul. He would fetch us forty thousand credits. He would be a good first mission for the team. Maybe being trapped in the car as we make it to him will be good for team morale.

Spitting up we all needed to go shopping for the road ahead of us. I didn't need anything so I sent Rai with Emiko and Soji. It would be good for the three of them. At least I hoped it would be. For now I wanted a few minutes to myself. Since Shu's death and making to back to Rai and Amy, I don't think I had a moment that it was just me.

Pulling a pack of cigarettes out, I placed one between my lips. Flicking my finger, the black flame appeared lighting the end of the stick. Inhaling deeply the smoke burned slightly as I blew it out through my nose. I could feel the stress of the last few weeks melting away from me.

Turning I started to walk when I was frozen in my tracks. My eyes fell to a man who wasn't actually a man. The Blood Demon Kenji was in this city. It had been a while. Maybe he picked this city to be where he got his next meal. Some family was about to be demon food.

The last time I saw him he was kicking me around as if I was some rag doll. The last time I saw him Shu died. The thought of Shu made my blood boil. He was alone, without Ban around I wondered if I was demon enough to take him. This was my chance to avenge Shu and his family. It was my job as a member of that family to take my pound of flesh.

Flicking the cigarette away, I followed Kenji as he walked through the streets. Fighting him out in the opening would just mean more humans would die as they were caught up in our battle. I would follow him until he was somewhere less crowded.

As Kenji walked down an alley, my nails and fangs pushed down. I was ready to end his life. He had to pay for all the sins he commented. He had to pay for the pain that he has caused the people I love. The people who took me in when I had nothing. Kenji had to pay.

My steps started to quicken. Soon I was rushing towards the Blood Demon. Before I could touched him, hands grabbed me yanking me back. They covered my mouth and wrapped around my waist as I was pressed against something, no it was someone.

I could feel my mind racing as I struggled against hands that had enough strength to hold me. Who was this? Kenji wasn't alone. Who was he with? I stopped my struggled for a moment. I could feel someone lowering themselves so their face was beside mine. My eyes shifted and I could see hair as red as blood.

"You're so feisty, Natsu." Ban's lips were at my ear as he whispered. My eyes shifted down the alley, but Kenji was gone. He got away because of Ban. They were trying to bring about the Night of Demons. I was the person who was supposed to be stopping this. Killing Kenji probably would stop it.