EIGHT

Night came as it always does and somehow my brother had escaped before my parents noticed. I regretted not going with him as I watched my mother pull out board game after board game. SORRY was the flavor of the evening.

I hated this game, I was pretty sure my sister sat the deck. It was why the ones and twos kept coming when it was her turn to draw a card. Any time I made it out of START she would get a SORRY and flick my little green pawn off the board.

The doorbell rang and I jumped up off the floor. My father eyes shifted to me probably wondering if I was waiting for someone. I wasn't, but anything was better than listening to another 'You suck' comment my sister was tossing my way.

"I'll get it," I called moving towards the door before anyone else could. The bell rang again before I got to the door. Pulling it open the air sucked out of my lungs. The man on the other side was beautiful. He looked like he belonged in movies and on covers of magazines. People like him didn't show up at our house in the middle of the night.

There was something about him that screamed dangerous. His eyes held me and I couldn't move. I could hear my heart racing, I could feel my mouth going dry. He eyes; they were so dark they looked black. I never saw anyone who had black iris. Maybe they were contacts, a lot of people was getting red eyes mocking the supposed demons that were among us.

He couldn't have been much older than me, late teens to earlier twenties at the most. His hair came to the center of his back. It hung around him like a curtain. He had this smile on his lips. A smile like that promised you pleasure you couldn't imagine.

"Can I help you?" I found my voice. He was taller than me by a noticeable amount. His shirt was fitted and hinted at the muscles that rested under it. His jeans hung off his hips slightly. There was a ring on a chain around his neck. It was probably my imagination, but I could have swore it glowed softly.

"My car just broke down and my damn cell phone died. Do you mind if I use yours?" He smiled again and I looked at him. Was anyone really that unlucky? It sounded like the opening line of a horror movie. "My name's Ban, by the way." He held his hand out to me. I bit my lip but left him hanging.

"Who's at the door, Zero? It's your turn." My mother voice yelled through the house and I turned around to see her coming towards the door. I held the door open a bit more letting her see the handsome stranger. I watched as she ran her fingers through her hair and shifted her bra around. Rolling my eyes was she really trying to pretty herself up for the man.

"This is Ban. His car broke down. He wants to use our phone." I filled her in on what was going on as she reached the door. She was smiling at Ban and his eyes shifted over her. He gave her a smile. I was sure that smile got him whatever he wanted.

"Don't be rude, Zero. Let him in." She said and I frowned. What were we living in the forties? Since when did you just let strangers in your home?

"What about the news? They said strangers could be demons." It was on CNN even if it sounded like something only crazy people would believe. The government wasn't laughing at this. They were warning people. They were sending the military in cities. This was serious.

"I'm sorry," my mother grabbed Ban's arm pulling him into the door, "my son plays too many video games." I rolled my eyes as I closed the door behind the handsome stranger. Even if I did play too many, that didn't change what was going on in the world.

My mother pulled Ban along behind her towards the kitchen. Shaking my head at her I walked back to the living room. My father and sister were still seated on the floor in their spots. I sat down on the floor in front of my green pawns plucking a card from the deck.