FOUR

Someone was calling my name. The sound of it brought me out of my little world of me. I was sitting at the breakfast table. My fingers were toying with the ring I wore around my neck. It was the same ring that held the name Ban inside of it. I won this just like I won my life. It was just more proof that what happened to me was real and not some wild dream I made up.

The food in front of me sat getting cold. The smell of bacon and eggs made me want to turn my nose up. The thought of eating this meal made my stomach turn. As far as human food went bacon was number one on the list of things I still enjoyed.

I was so full of the blood I had last night I was certain that one bite of the salty strip of goodness would make me vomit. Human's food was heavy, it sat in your stomach like bricks. It took weeks for it to be broken down. It was also necessary to eat in order to look . . . human.

My eyes shifted around the table. The people who I was closest to were here. Shu, Amy, and their daughter Rai. Rai was the spitting image of her mother, younger, shorter but when you looked at her you saw Amy. She was just another person in this family that I watched grow older. I couldn't wait to see the kind of woman she became in the future.

"Zero, how come you're always playing with that ring? Did someone special give it to you?" Rai asked. It made me let go of the rings when she called Ban . . . special. Maybe he was special. He was the person that killed me after all.

In the fourteen years of Rai's life, I never brought up Ban around her. She didn't know that my family died. I wasn't even sure if Rai knew I had a family. She probably just thought I was a demon. That was all she needed to know.

"Every one special died before they could give me anything." I could feel the eyes of the others at the table on me. My family didn't even get to say goodbye. That wasn't true. Their screams for mercy was their farewell. I was supposed to join them.

"Who gave it to you then?" Shu has never asked me about my past. He knew that it was bloody. He probably heard me and his grandfather talk about it once or twice. In the years that I knew Shu, he liked to pretend that my life started on the side of the road that his grandfather found me on. My fingers reached up again toying with the ring.

"I took it from Ban," I answered them truthfully. There was a shocked gasped from Aya. Everyone knew the name Ban. Even people that weren't in the demon hunting business knew who Ban was.

"You took something from the Great Demon Ban?" Aya asked and I nodded my head.

"I ripped it from his neck while he . . ." My words trailed off. While he what? Had sex with me while he made me feel things, no other lover had. While he bit into my flesh and did everything in his power to take my life, a life that I clung to so desperately.

They were all looking at me. Waiting for me to finish.

"While he attacked me. He thought he killed me so he left." Only he did kill me.

"Ban; he's the worse one out there." Dante looked at me with some new found respect. Ban didn't make flashy displays of violence like the Blood Demon. He didn't walk around pounding his chest telling everyone to call him a Lord like other demons. Ban was the kind of man that smiled in your face. He kissed you on the lips. He killed you before you even realized the charming stranger was a demon.

He had been one of the fist demons to come from the hell gate. If we were being, dramatic rumors said he was the first to walk through the gate. He was one of the only demons that has never been sent back to hell. His class of Demon was known as S class. These demons were so powerful you had to be suicidal to hunt them.

"I've never heard of Ban leaving a victim alive." That was because he didn't leave them alive. Ban killed everyone and he walked away from them with a smile on his beautiful face. I hated him; I hated everything he was, everything he stood for. I hated that even now I could remember the way he touched me.