FOURTEEN

I kept my meeting with Ban and Kenji to myself. There was no need to get the others involved when they didn't seem to be after us. We stayed another night at our new home before hitting the road. Emiko insisted on being the driver so after a day of her bad driving we pulled over to a motel.

Since we been on the road, I noticed Rai opening up again. Mostly she was clinging to Emiko. I watched as Rai followed her around like some kind of kitten following the milk bowl. I wasn't sure how I felt about Rai attachment to Emiko.

Even now, she sat on the bed with her legs crossed as she talked endlessly about everything that came to her mind. Emiko nodded her head giving her replies where they were needed. All the while Emiko kneeled behind Soji brushing his hair as if he was some kind of doll.

It didn't go unnoticed how Emiko kept the white mage close to her. It was as if she was trying to keep the boy under her thumb. It made the once open and chattering Soji withdraw within himself. I wondered if this was what he was like at home with his people. If he guarded his words and kept to himself.

The silence Soji was a stark contrast to the chatterbox he had been when we first met. His endless string of conversation had been annoying when Soji first came into my life. Now I found that I missed the sound of his voice in it's absent. Emiko should give him more room. How was he suppose to stretch his wings?

Pulling a cigarette out, I placed it between my lips about to light it when Emiko lowered me with a glance. She held her hand up pointing towards the door. Her non-smoker rule was starting to get annoying. She wouldn't even let me enjoy one in the car.

Rolling my eyes at her I turned on my heels leaving the room. I was starting to think that I was the only outcast inside of our new team. They all flocked around Emiko treating her word as if it was law. It was lonely out in the cold.

Lighting the stick I left the hotel we were in joining the stumbling drunks that were walking the streets at this hour. I found that Mother Fate word implanted themselves inside of my brain. Protect Soji, stop the Night of demons, love Ban. I shook my head at the stupid thought.

I hated Ban wholeheartedly. How can you long to be touched by someone you hate? My life was cut short because of Ban. I never got a chance to love anyone. No one had the chance to love me. Ban keep saying he loves me, but I didn't want his kind of love.

I was a demon. I shouldn't be worrying about silly things like love. Maybe it was time I cut my losses. Shu was gone. Amy and Rai could make money doing something better than hunting demons. Amy could open up a bakery. She was a good baker. They could lead a good life. Shu's unborn child as well. I needed to get away from all of these people. Hanging around humans were making me weak. I was never going to get my revenge on Ban the way I was now. I needed to be stronger.

There was a tiny voice inside of my head that chanted a single word. Run, Run, Run. I found myself wanting to obey this voice. I wanted to take out my wings and get as far from her as fast as I could. Soji would be safe if he went home to his people. Maybe Soji's people would take Amy and Rai in. Rai was so taken in by Emiko. I didn't know if it was because she was trying to hate me or if the older woman weaved some spell over Shu's daughter. It hurt slightly. To see the child who you help raise turn their back on you. Maybe that was for the best. It made running easier.

Squeezing my eyes shut it seemed as if my mind hand been made up. Flicking the cigarette away from myself, I started to run. The wind was slapping me in the face stealing my breath away as I pumped my legs faster. With a thought, I shifted into my demon form. My wings stretched out taking me into the air.

Beating them faster I smiled at how light I felt in the air. Pouring on the speed I twisted and spun around in the sky. There was a freedom that settled over me that I never felt before. Was this the real me? Not a demon, not a human, just Zero.