ELEVEN

Tossing the last bag into the trunk I slammed it shut. Pausing I looked at the house I called home for the last fourteen years. It was a home that Amy and Shu built with me. It was where Rai grew up and took her first steps, said her first words, demonstrated her first acts of green magic.

We had so many memories in this place. It was the first place that I felt like a teenager again. It was the first place that I had two parents again. Even though it was an illusion, it felt nice. To be taken care of, to be loved unconditionally.

Once again, a demon took my family from me. It was Ban and Kenji that ripped my family apart. I wanted to pay them both back in blood. At the same time, I didn't want to be reckless and lose more members of my family. We shouldn't have gone after Maya. Or maybe I shouldn't have told Shu, Kenji was with her. Maybe I should have fought harder to get him to turn around the car.

I could think in maybe and what if all day and night. It wasn't going to change the simple fact that Shu was gone. That our whole team was dead. Now, what did we have? A demon, a white mage, a half-trained green mage, and a pregnant ex-Demon Hunter.

I shook my head. Shu was going to be a father again. Amy explained to us the reason she fainted was because the stress was too much for the baby. She was going to tell everyone when we got back from killing Maya. Shu would have been so happy to learn he was going to be a dad again. He would never meet his child, his child would never meet its father.

Getting into the car I was in the driver seat as Amy sat up front with me. She had the mapping orb in her hand. Tech came a long way since I was a human. GPS were a lot more accurate, there was no annoying voice telling you to drive five miles out of your way just to make a U-Turn.

Soji had suggested that if we had nowhere to we should return to his church. I vetoed that bill as soon as it passed his lips. I didn't trust holy rollers. Maybe it was because I was playing for the other team. Maybe they would have invited Amy and Rai in but I wasn't human. I wasn't going to be locked in someone's cell.

Pulling off I looked through the rearview mirror. Rai was still angry at me. I wondered if it was over Shu or if she was really upset about the kiss Soji and I shared. I was inclined to think it was the kiss since she refused to sit in the same row of the truck with Soji.

She had her head pressed against the cool glass of the window. She stared out into the world numbly. I knew the loss of a father. I knew the loss of a home. Rai and I had that in common now. Once we found somewhere to set up, I would talk to her. Maybe if she knew she wasn't alone in this, she would stop being so angry.

The truth was I didn't know where to go. Shu was the man with the plan. He was the leader of this group. Was everyone looking to me now? There was only one place I knew to go when I was lost. An old woman who claimed to have known me when I was human. That probably meant she was a demon if she was still around. The fortune teller always pointed me on the right path when I didn't have a clue where to go.

The drive to where the woman lives was done in silence. Everyone seemed to be in their own world. We each had our own thoughts, our own worries. We each mourned in our own way. The important part was that we were together. That we were moving forward at a time like this.

It was about twelve hours in the car. Samter was a town that Shu and I had visited a lot in our travels. It wasn't far enough from our old him. Still we were going to need more supplies if we were in for a long road.

Passing the card that held our credits over to Amy she looked took it understanding that it was up to her to food and supplies. Parking I got out of the car and Amy followed so that she could move to the driver seat.