SEVEN

The crackle of laughter made me stop in my steps. Looking towards Kenji's body I tucked the horn I took from Maya into my pocket. The Blood Demon was still alive. He was laughing at us. It was this hissing sound as he slowly started to rise.

I watched as the bullets Shu fired pushed through the holes in his body. He reached up brushing them away as if they were nothing more than dust. This was an S-Class demon. Of course, it wasn't going to be that easy. Still a boy could hope. That hope was for nothing.

"These . . . these are special bullets." Shu sound utterly shocked at the fact that Kenji could still be standing. The bullets in his guns were blessed. They would have slaughtered a lesser demon. So what was it going to take to kill Kenji?

"You've been a very bad boy," Kenji spoke looking at Shu. I could feel the blood lust inside of him. He wanted to kill Shu. Of course he did, being shot by someone sucked and Kenji wasn't the forgiving type.

Swearing in my head I swung on Kenji. He caught my fist bending it backwards as he bared down on me. It felt as if he was going to break my arm. Maybe he would. I watched as he brought his other hand up and punched me in my gut.

The pain that came with the hit was indescribable. I coughed, blood spitting from my lips. His fingers had pushed roughly into my hair before he used it to toss me across the room. I flew from the stage for the second time tonight hit the back wall. I dropped down falling pieces of the of brick crumble away and fall on me. Honestly, I was shocked I didn't go through.

"Kenji, be gentle with him." That voice sent shivers down my spine. Slowly rising to my feet I shook my head as my vision swimmed. When my eyes started to clear, Ban was the focus point. He was sitting at the only table that didn't seem to be overturned.

He was breathtaking. He stood out against the dirty backdrop of the club. The thousand credit suit didn't fit in a place that drinks only cost five credit. His black eyes didn't shift around to take in his surrounding. He was only looking at me. He looked like some high-class gentlemen, not the kind of person that would be in a place like this.

I could feel my heart racing at the sight of him. Was it excitement for a chance to kill him? Or maybe it was nervousness since Shu and my chance for survival just took a nose drive. Maybe my heart was racing because it been forty years since the last time he touched me. Since the last time, anyone touched me.

"What took you so long? The brat killed Maya." Kenji spoke he hopped off the stage as he started to walk towards Ban. I noticed that Kenji was only looking at Ban. Ban was looking at me though. Who was Shu looking at? I made myself turn from the Great Demon. Shu was just a few feet to my right.

My best friend looked . . . frozen. He probably never saw Ban before. Few people get to see him and live to tell the tale. I swallowed my thought. Shu would be one of those few. We were going to make it home. I started to inch my way towards him so that we could stand as a united front. My eyes shifted as Aya moaned turning on the floor. I would get both of them out of this mess. The question was how.

"Natsu has issues with authority figures." Natsu, Natsu, Natsu. He was always calling me by that name. I didn't know who Natsu was. I didn't know why he insisted on call me by that ridiculous name. I was Zero, I've only ever been Zero.

Still I watched as Ban lips twitched. I had said the same thing to Maya when she asked me why I fought with humans. He thought he knew me so well. Maybe he did. He was the only person that knew every inch of me. He was the only being left alive that remembered I was human once.

"My name is Zero." I hissed out my word. Blinking Ban was in front of us. Shu raised his gun, but Ban slapped him away. The action reminded me of the way a human would fan a fly away from their face. Shu flew across the room with the action crashing onto the floor.