SEVENTEEN

The both of them rushed around grabbing at clothes trying to cover themselves up. I walked towards them grabbing Rai and yanking her towards me. I could feel her trying to pull away, but my fingers were like iron around her arm.

Pushing her to the door I didn't need to speak she just let out this angry teenager scream before walking out the room. I looked towards Emiko next. My eyes glaring at the older woman for a moment. A part of me wanted to rip her throat out. I wanted to call her every nasty name I could think of.

It was probably what Shu would have been doing if he walked in on the two of them. Those were human actions. Emiko has seen me as nothing but a demon since I met her. She didn't deserve to see the human side of me.

"Have you lost your fucking mind? She's fourteen!" I didn't care that laws that involved ages no longer implied in this day and age.

"Seem like we got daddy all mad," there was this mocking tone to her voice. Emiko was trying to provoke me. She wanted to arouse a reaction from me. She wouldn't like any that I gave her.

"What's the matter, demon? Upset that I was with your little girl." Was this just a game to her? Was Rai someone she was just using to get at me?

"If I was angry you would be dead right now." There wouldn't be anything the others could do to stop me either. "It's from my respect of Soji that you're still alive." Because he loved me. Because something about him drew me to him. I watched as her face twisted when I brought up Soji.

She had been doing a bad job keeping him away from me since we met. Before it had only been kissing. Tonight was the first time we went farther. How long had Rai and Emiko been doing this? Why didn't I notice sooner? Because I been so wrapped up in my own life. I've been wrapped up in Ban and Soji. How disgraceful. Shu would have wanted me to do better.

"For Soji," she laughed openly at me, "If any of this was for Soji you would stay away from him." I raised an eyebrow at her. "Soji is our white mage. His powers have saved many lives. He is father's most precious possession."

Now I frowned. She was talking about Soji as if he was nothing more than a tool for his group to use. I had gotten that vibe from her before. She was so possessive of him. Not because she felt protective over Soji, the person. Just because she didn't want me breaking Soji the object, Soji the tool, Soji the white mage.

"I'm here at his side to make sure that he doesn't get caught up in people, or rather things like you." My lips pulled back in a sneer. I could see her smiling. She thought that she was doing something. I suppose she was. She was pissing me off. "Did I hit a nerve, demon?"

My lips twitched slightly. Did she think calling me a demon was offensive? I knew what I was. When I accepted what I was like Ban told me the fog cleared away. For the last forty years of my life, I lived with a clear head and a clean soul. Her bantering was just amusing to me.

"Would you like to know why Soji was allowed to stay with you? Why he hasn't be taken back home and you locked inside of a cage?" My arms crossed my chest as I leaned back into the dresser. This was bound to be interesting. Why was Soji the church's doll allowed to stay at the side of a demon?

"The first night you took him he made a call," I remember that call. I didn't know who it was too. "He called his father. Told dear old daddy that he could learn all of your secrets. That he could learn what links you to Ban." She giggled as she walked closer to me. I moved my arms standing up straighter. Emiko had a nasty habit of attacking me and I was going to be ready.

"Do you really think someone like him could love someone like you?"

Love, no, I didn't actually believe in love. It was nice when Soji said it to be, but I wasn't going to get my panties in a twist over a few little words like love. If I let love trip me up, then Ban would have me right where he wanted me.