Every Snowflake Is Different (another goddamn bonus chapter)

Violet's POV

"Violet! Violet! Wake up!" Bandit roughly shook me and tore the covers off my body, "We have to go see what Santa got us!"

I rolled over and pulled the sheets back close to my cold exposed skin, "Bee, why don't you go down and take a look? I'll be down in like 5 minutes."

"C'mon Violet, I know you can get up this early. Do a little something for your sister." A familiar man appeared in my doorway holding a cup of coffee with a cartoon style picture of David Bowie it.

"Dad!" I jumped out of bed and hugged the older man close, "I missed you so much."

Gerard welcomingly embraced me and kissed the top of my head, "I missed you too, sunshine."

It's been so long since both of my parents have been in the same house together. Gerard has been on the road promoting his new comic book series since September so the only contact I've had with him has been through texting and video chatting. Lindsey has been in her art studio more than her music studio so she's been home for the most part. There was a time where Bandit and I stayed alone in the house for a few days. I smiled as I remembered the time about a year ago when Alex and Jack came to watch me.

Since the last tour ended Sam and I have been back here in New Jersey. Our school schedule has been pretty vigorous so we only go to the studio on weekends. Dallas plays guitar, Sam has been picking the bass up pretty easily, and I sing. Sam makes a pretty decent drummer so he does the drum parts for any songs we record. We know that we're going to be a band, but we haven't figured out a name yet.

"Presents!" Bandit insisted and pulled us apart.

Gerard smiled and patted her head, "Not yet. Sam and Aunt Crystal are coming over to open presents with us."

Bandit made a pouty face, "But Daaaad!"

He shrugged, "Suck it up buttercup."

Speaking of Sam, he's been doing pretty well lately. He's even got a nice boyfriend. His mom threw him out soon after he came out of the closet so he stayed with us for a little bit, but we're a pretty busy household so we started to look around for any other relatives he could stay with.

Colton and Crystal ended up taking him in. I was horrified at the suggestion at first but Sam is a really nice guy and Crystal needs the company. Besides, I could tell that Colton wanted a kid to complete their family. He really screwed up with me but he could try again with Sam. As long as Colton's relationship with me isn't brought up, they've actually gotten along pretty well. They're happy.

I don't know if I would call myself happy. I'm content, but not truly happy. Depression is like that constant fog that lingers over everything. It keeps me from truly enjoying myself. I still cut sometimes but it was more of a stress thing than anything else. I guess I'll never truly get rid of those self-destructive tendencies.

"Ho ho ho! Santa Claus is here to give presents to all the little children!"

Bandit immediately bolted down the stairs and we followed after. We came to see Sam with an oversized Santa hat on and a fake beard. He was carrying a canvas sack with shiny wrapped presents peeking over the top. I could barely stifle a laugh. He's such a clown.

"You're not Santa!" Bandit giggled, "You're Sam!"

"Well sure I'm Santa." He said in a ridiculously bad manly deep voice. He reached into his back pocket and whipped out a candy cane, "Here's some candy for you, young one."

She grabbed the red and white piece of peppermint and ran off to do whatever her little heart desired. Sam took the hat off and plunked it on my head. The thing was so large it covered my eyes and I had to push it far back on my head just so I could see.

"Do I get any candy?" I asked Sam and gave him my best puppy dog eyes.

He shook his head, "You?  Why would you get any candy?  You're a naughty child."

"Hey!" I punched him playfully, "I'm your bandmate!  You better give me some damn candy!"

"You're not allowed to kill eachother on Christmas!  That can wait until tomorrow." Gerard patted my cousin on the back, "It's good to see you though, Sam.  Where's Crystal?"

Sam shrugged, "She's coming over a little later.  I wanted to come here by myself early."

"Violet come here!" Bandit yelled from the living room, "There's a guy on TV and he looks just like Jinx!"

I pushed back the tears in my eyes.  I wish he was here.  The framed photo I keep on my desk isn't enough.  Maybe if he was alive he could have completed our band.  I tried to erase those thoughts from my mind.  I know that I miss him but now is not the time.  I'll cry later.  Now I have to focus on the family I have and love.  He's watching over me, I know he is.  He wants me to be happy.

The doorbell rang again.  "I'll get it!" I said immediately.  I need a distraction, something else to focus on.

"Hello!" A slightly awkward looking Dallas was standing in the doorway with a bag in his hand.

"Hi boyfriend." I replied and gave him a quick kiss, "Merry Christmas."

Dallas smiled, "Merry Christmas, Vi."  Before I could stop him, he took a hold of my wrist and pushed the bracelets back. 

"You said you would stop." He whispered so that no one else would hear us, "You haven't stopped."

"I know." I mumbled, "It's easier said than done."

He wrapped me in a hug, "I told you that if you started again I would tell your dad.  I was serious about that.  I don't want you hurting yourself."

"I don't want him to worry."

Dallas pulled away and looked me straight in the eye, "I know but you can't be doing this to yourself."

I looked back at my family.  They were all laughing at some ridiculous thing that Sam was doing.  Happy.  Everyone is happy.  Everyone except me.

"Okay." I relented, "But not today.  Let us enjoy today."

He nodded and put his arm around my shoulders, "I wasn't going to.  Now let's go have Christmas."