Disenchanted

Violet's POV

I picked up my duffel bag and hopped down the stairs into the lobby where my new parents were waiting for me. This is it. I'm about to start my new life. A new beginning...

"Ready to go?" Gerard asked me. "Yeah." I said. He smiled, "Let's get you home."

Home has always been an interesting word to me. I've never really had a home. Sure I lived at the orphanage, but that didn't make it my home.

No one really talked during the car ride, which was fine with me. I liked being left to my own thoughts. Finally, we arrived at their house. It was huge!

"This is your house?!" I exclaimed, "It's so big! I love it!" Lindsey laughed, "Everyone loves the house. It's your house too now."

We got out of the car. "Gerard, why don't you show her the house? I'll make something for dinner." Lindsey turned to me, "Is mac n cheese fine with you? That's like all we have in the house right now. I really need to go to the grocery store." I nodded, "Yeah, that's fine. I'm not picky when it comes to food."

Gerard unlocked the door and we went into the house. "Welcome home," He said. "This is the kitchen, den is to the right, dining room to the left, and my studio is downstairs. I'll give you the grand tour after I show you to your room, which is upstairs." I followed Gerard up the stairs.

"This is me and Lindsey's room, Bandit's room-" He was saying.

"Who's Bandit?" I asked him.

"Bandit is me and Lindsey's daughter," Gerard said, "She's six." Wait, he had another daughter? Why did no one tell me this? They'll never love me as much as they love their real daughter...

"Is she here right now?"

"No," Gerard said, "She's at Lindsey's parent's house for two weeks. We thought you would need some time to settle in, without a little six year old running around the house all the time." He open the door to a different room.

"And here is your room." The walls were a plain white, a queen sized bed in the back of the room, a desk in the corner, and a dresser near the bed.

"We haven't painted or decorated it yet, so we can definitely do that some point." Gerard said, "But this should last you until then. You also have your own bathroom."

"Ooh, deluxe." I said. "Thanks Gerard."

Gerard laughed, "No need to thank me, you are living here now. You need a space to call your own. Do you want to see my studio?" He asked me.

"Sure." I said and we went down to the studio. The studio was pretty cool. There was a drum set in the corner and guitars of various colors around the room. There was also a recording booth and a desk with comic book drawings on it.

"Who drew these?" I asked him. The drawings were really good. "I did." Gerard said, "It's a little hobby of mine. I have a series of comics you can read, if you like. It's called The Umbrella Academy."

"I'd like that." I said shyly. "Great," He said, "I'll put some in your room later."

"GERARD! VIOLET! DINNER IS READY!" We heard Lindsey call from upstairs.

We went to the dining room and sat down to have dinner. I tried not to eat very much, I'm so fat already.

"So Violet, tell us about yourself." Lindsey said, "Likes, dislikes, hopes, fears, we want to get to know you." Oh thank God. Now I have an excuse not to eat.

"Well, I love music. Some of my favorite bands are All Time Low, Fall Out Boy, Green Day, Panic! At The Disco, and Pierce The Veil. I don't play any instruments, though. I also love horror movies, even though they scare the crap out of me sometimes.  My favorite colors are purple and silver, um, and I've always wanted to learn how to ride a horse."

"Really? Horses? When did that start?" Gerard asked me.

"When I was about 5 I was in a foster home in Pennsylvania and the older kids there rode, and as you know I was five, so I was always getting dragged along to their lessons or shows or whatever. And something about those horses intrigued me, you know? I started lessons there, but then I was moved to a new foster home and I haven't really ridden since." I explained.

"That's awesome," Lindsey said, "We can totally get you back into horses.  I think there's a barn just down the street that you can ride at."

I looked at the clock.  It was a little after 8.  "Um, may I be excused?" I asked, "I kind of wanted to take a shower and get to bed early tonight."

"Sure," Gerard said.  "There's soap and towels and stuff in your bathroom.  Are you sure you don't want to eat any more?"  The macaroni was barely touched.  "Yeah, I'm sure." I said, "I had a pretty big lunch over at the orphanage."  Bullshit.  I didn't even eat lunch.  I just hoped Gerard couldn't see through my cover.

"Alright then, yes you can be excused.  Goodnight Violet.  If you need anything just come get me or Lindsey."

"I will," I said, "Goodnight."

Gerard's POV

"Bullshit," I mumbled as soon as Violet disappeared up the stairs.  "Pure bullshit."

"What was that Gerard?" Lindsey asked me.  "She didn't 'have a big lunch', she's just looking for an excuse not to eat." I said.  I bet she didn't even have lunch!"

"What should we do?" Lindsey asked me.  "Nothing yet.  I don't want her to feel like we're nagging her.  That'll only make it worse."  I said.