Car Radio

Violet's POV

"One more time," Sam said, "Just the ending chrous. This is the last time, I promise."

I groaned. We've been working on this for 2 hours already. And he said it was going to be the last time like 10 minutes ago.

"But the last time I almost got it," I said, "Can't we just end with that?"

"No. It needs to be perfect."

"But Saaaam! I'm so goddamn tired." I protested.

"How much sleep did you get last night?" He asked me, "Sleep is important, Violet. We've talked about this before. Tell me why you were up all night."

"Uh, I had insomnia," I half-lied. The real reason I didn't sleep was because I was hungry. I have been eating, but I haven't been keeping it down afterwards. My sleeping schedule has gotten pretty fucked up because of that. I go to bed at 9, fall asleep at 10, then I usually wake up around midnight and can't fall back asleep.

"Why do you have insomnia?" Sam asked me, "Are you overthinking at night, or what?"' I just stared at him until he got the message.

Sam threw up his hands, "Okay, I get it. I'm not going to get involved in your personal shit. What's yours is yours. Just sing the fucking chorus one more time."

"Fine." I sang it. "Can I be done now?"

He rolled his eyes, "Yes, you little shit. You're finished."

Jasmine came into the room, "Hey Sam, so the choreography crew was thinking about making a quick run to the Starbucks across the street for hot chocolate and stuff. Wanna come? Violet, you're welcome to join us too."

"Uh, no thanks-" I started, but Sam didn't let me finish.

"She's coming. C'mon Violet, it'll be fun." He said.

"But I don't have any money-"

"Doesn't matter. Let's go."

So I let Sam drag me to Starbucks with the rest of the crew. There were about 25 of us in all. Almost everyone else was older then me. I felt a little self conscious. And because I had no money to buy food, I just sat at an empty table and pretended like I wasn't on the verge of an anxiety attack.

"You better eat these," Sam grumbled and handed me two chocolate chip cookies, "Starbucks cookies are expensive."

I knew he wasn't going to let me get out of this one, so I slowly ate the cookies. And okay, they were pretty good, but the fact was I was eating. I had a strong urge to run to the bathroom, but I wouldn't do it. Not here.

My phone buzzed. It was a text from Crystal, who said that she wouldn't be able to pick me up. I was going to have to ride the late bus. The late bus is a system of buses that leave the school around 5:45 and all the kids who's parents can't pick them up have to ride them home.

"Shit!" I swore, forgetting that Sam was sitting across from me.

"What is it?" He asked me.

"It's not a big deal," I said, "My Mom can't pick me up so I'm going to have to ride the late bus. That's all."

Sam looked horrified, "Violet, do you know what happens on the late bus??? Nothing good, I'll tell you that. I can drive you home."

"You don't have to do that-"

"Shut up. People are allowed to do nice things for you, Violet. I don't know why you keep pushing everyone away."

I just returned my attention to the remaining cookie on front of me. I nudged it towards Sam, "You can have this," I said, "I'm not hungry."