A Match Into Water

Gerard's POV

"Here is Violet's folder." Mrs. Heverly said and handed us a folder an inch or two thick. "It has her birth certificate, hospital records, and anything else important. Feel free to look at it."

I skimmed through the pages, one page caught my attention. It was her identification pictures. One of the pictures was her wrists. 4 deep scars ran through each of them. My blood ran cold.

"Ah, yes," Mrs. Heverly said, "Her scars. You knew she self-harmed, right?" I nodded. "Well, these are the scars from that. She keeps them covered up with bracelets and the only time we've ever seen them was for these pictures."

My heart ached, poor kid. She didn't deserve this. I felt Lindsey's hand on mine. "You okay, Gerard?" She asked me. "Yeah, I'm fine." I said and returned my attention to Mrs. Heverly.

"Other than that, we've never had any other problems with Violet. She keeps to herself most of the time, and when she does have to interact with the other kids she does very well. Just don't ask her to take off the bracelets. Do you have any other questions?"

"What happened to her parents?" Lindsey asked. "Her father left the family when she was about five, her mother committed suicide shortly after." Mrs. Heverly said, "She bounced around foster homes until she came here when she was about 8. From my understanding, her last foster mother wasn't all that kind and understanding to her. She seems to have some trust issues with females now, so Lindsey don't expect to get her trust right away." Lindsey nodded.

"But other than that, Violet is a lovely girl and you two should be very happy. Ready to sign the paperwork?"

I looked at Lindsey, "Are we ready to do this?"

"Of course." She whispered, "Now let's sign that shit and bring her home."

Violet's POV

I sat in the small lobby while Gerard and Lindsey filled out the paperwork. Lindsey seemed pretty nice. My last foster mother wasn't exactly nice to me, so we'll see how this goes...

Mrs. Heverly came inside the lobby, "Violet, sweetie, can you go get your stuff? You're going home."

I ran upstairs to my dorm and started packing.

"Where are you going, bitch?" I groaned. Of course Sarah had to be here.

"I got adopted." I said as quickly as possible.

Sarah rolled her eyes, "No you didn't. No one wants you, Violet. Accept it.  You're a wreck, fat, stupid, and ugly.  Who would want a kid like that?"

Ouch.  Those words hurt.  And the worst part was that they were all true...