Collar Full

Violet's POV

"Can you pass me that red marker?" Dallas asked me.

"Sure." We were working on anti-bullying posters in art. Mine was kind of stupid but that doesn't matter, so was everyone else's.

"Are you going to the fall dance?" Dallas asked me.

Fuck. It was like on Friday. I haven't given like any thought to that.

"Probably not," I said, "I don't really like dances."

"You should come." Dallas said, "I'll be there."

"Um, I'll think about it."

The bell rang.

"Text me when you make a decision." He said and helped me clean up all of the crap that was left on the table.

"Jinx, what would you say if Dallas kind of asked me to the dance?" I asked Jinx during our study hall at the end of the day.

"I would say, 'Violet you are going to the goddamn dance,'" Jinx said, "Did he ask you?"

"Kind of. He said that I should come."

"You're going, Violet. We're both going."

"But-"

"No. C'mon Violet, he's obviously likes you. If you don't go to the dance he's going to think you aren't interested. Is that what you want?"

I shook my head.

"Besides Violet, dances are fun. You'll have a great time." Jinx assured me.

But I wasn't so sure...

"Hmm, what should you wear?" Jack was rummaging through my closet. He was "helping" me pick out my outfit for the dance tonight. I started to undo my braid that Alex had put in last night. I don't really like having my hair up.

"VIOLET NO!" Jack screamed. I froze. What did I do?

"DO NOT TAKE YOUR HAIR DOWN." So that's what this is about.

"But Barakitty, I like it down." I said.

"Just keep it up, okay? It looks pretty." He said and picked up a box. "What's in here?"

Oh shit. My other blade. That's where I put it.

I took the box from his hands, "Let's not look at that box."

"Why not?" He asked me and tried to grab it from me.

"I have stuff in there." I said.

"What kind of stuff?"

"Um, lady stuff." Nice excuse Violet, I told myself.

"Oh." Jack got the hint. Thank God. "I'm sorry."

"It's fine," I said and put the box back in the closet. That was a close one. "Now what did you pick out for me to wear tonight?"

Jack put the purple plaid dress, some silver bracelets, a pair of black flats, and purple stud earrings on the bed. "Will this work?"

"Yeah," I said, "I'll try it on. Thanks Jack."

Okay, Jack does have a pretty good fashion sense in this way. Everything coordinated and looked good. I modeled the outfit for him.

"You look great," he said, "Just take the rubber bracelets off."

"But I can't." I said.

"Why?"

"Because of the scars."

"The scars? What scars?" Fuck. I thought I told him.

"I used to self-harm and now I have some scars on my wrists. It's not a big deal, I've been clean for a while, I'm fine." I said quickly. I took the bracelets off. "See? They haven't been opened in a long time. It's not a big deal."