Kids In The Dark

Violet's POV

"VIOLET WAKE UP!"

My eyes flew open. I looked around my room. My roommate Sarah was brushing her hair in the bed next to me.

"God, how many times do I have to fucking tell you? Get up."

"Sorry," I mumbled and go out of bed. Mrs. Heverly's voice crackled over the loudspeaker.

"Attention all girls, we have a meeting down in the auditorium about the open house before breakfast. Please get dressed and make your way down there. Thank you."

I sighed, open house was later today. I hate open house. There are too many people and none of them want me. I changed into my black skinny jeans and bright blue All Time Low shirt. I made sure that I had 5 bracelets on each wrist and that you couldn't see anything under them.

Then I got out a hairbrush and brushed my hair. I smiled, I love my hair. It's natural color is jet black, but I dip dyed it purple at the ends.

I made my way down to the auditorium. I took a seat at the back that way no one would notice me. I don't really fit in here. I don't fit in anywhere. All I really have to keep me going is my music. I like all kinds of music, but my favorite bands are All Time Low, Fall Out Boy, Green Day, and Panic! At The Disco. I've always kind of wanted to learn how to play guitar.

The speech was the same as it was every year. Be on your best behavior, be friendly, be polite etc. I've been in this orphanage (Or as a politer term "group home") since I was 8, so for the last 4 years I've been hearing the same speech.

"We have a special guests coming today," Mrs. Heverly said. I straightened up. This was different. "Gerard and Lindsey Way are coming to adopt here."

Hmmm, Gerard Way. I know I've heard that name before...

Gerard's POV

I scrolled through the pictures of available girls on the group home website. Me and Lindsey were positive we wanted a girl. The open house was later tonight, there we would go and try to find our future daughter.  Mrs. Heverly sent us link to a few girls that she thought would fit into our family.

One profile caught my attention. It was a girl maybe 12 or 13 with deep brown eyes and black and purple hair. She wore a Panic! At The Disco shirt and black skinny jeans, bracelets covered her wrists. I clicked on her profile.

Name: Violet

Age: 12

Eyes: Brown

Hair: Black (dyed purple at the ends)

Personality: Although shy at first, when Violet opens up she is described as funny, sweet, and smart. Violet is usually seen listening to music on her iPod.

Notes: Violet has a history with depression, anxiety, and self-harm. Although she doesn't seem to have any issues with that now, experienced parents are recommended.

My heart melted. I knew I had to adopt this kid. She had a troubled past, so did I. I wanted to help her.

Lindsey sat next to me on the couch. "Hey Gee, I just dropped Bandit off at Nana's. We have two weeks for us to get to know our new daughter."

"I can't believe we abandoned Bandit for two weeks." I said.  "I feel like a bad parent."

"It's not abandoning," Lindsey said, "She's only 15 minutes away.  We can see her whenever we want." looked over my shoulder. "Whatcha looking at?"

"Girls at the group home," I said, "We have the open house today."

"Oh yeah," Lindsey said, "When does that start again?"

"It starts at 5."

"5? Well, it's 4:45 now, so I think we should get going." Lindsey told me.

"4:45?? Holy crap, I'm not ready yet! What should I wear? Does my hair look okay? Do we have everything ready-"

Lindsey kissed my cheek. "Honey, you look just fine. Don't worry about it." She took my hand. "Ready to go find our new daughter?"

Violet's POV

I was hiding out (As usual) in the den. No one ever came here during open house. I was safe. I looked up Gerard Way. He was the lead singer of a band called My Chemical Romance, but they broke up in 2013. I tried some of their songs, my favorites so far were Na Na Na, SING, and I'm Not Okay. I was on Teenagers right now, this song is super catchy. I started singing,

"They said all teenagers scare the living shit out of me. But they could care less, as long as someone'll bleed. So darken your clothes or strike a violent pose. Maybe they'll leave you alone."

"But not me!"

A second voice joined mine. I froze. Was someone actually listening? A man with dyed red hair opened the door and stepped into the room. "Sorry," He said, "I didn't mean to scare you. I just had to join in. That was a lovely version of Teenagers, by the way."

"Th-Thanks." I stammered.

"I'm Gerard," He said. "You're Violet, right?" I nodded. How did he know my name? "I read your profile thing on the website." Gerard explained.

"So, why aren't you outside with the rest of the kids?" He asked.

"If I'm being honest, I don't really like people." I said. Gerard laughed, "Well, that's one thing we have in common. Any other reasons?"

"I've been here for four years. This is my fourth open house. I've never been adopted. I guess I just lost hope after a while." I could feel my face turning red after I said those words. He didn't need to know any of that, I scolded myself, you're a stupid ugly girl. Stupid, stupid, girl...

"Well," Gerard said, "Maybe fourth time's the charm. How would you feel about having me as a father?"

Time froze for the second time that day. He wants me? Someone actually want me? "R-Really?" I managed to choke out. "You want me?"

"Of course!" Gerard said. "Wouldn't you rather have someone else?" I asked, "Someone with less, you know, this?" I gestured to myself. Gerard looked me up and down, "I see no flaws. You're perfect for us. C'mon, let's go find my wife and we can make it official." He grabbed my hand, "Let's go!"