Chapter 53: Health Nut.

¬Peasnie¬

Today I was doing an interview with a television show for moms before going to a Doctor’s appointment. The show wanted to bring moms from different situations, there was one who was a single mom who was pregnant with three other kids and going through a divorce, another was a teenage mother who’s father remains unknown and then there was Bailey a happily married mother with four kids and a stepchild and finally there was me, a young mother who is married and expecting her second. I mean we’re all from different backgrounds and situations. So what Bailey is a happily married mother of four, er five who makes time to spend time with all of her family while running a very successful business, keeping up romantically and keeping her physical appearance top notch. And then there’s me, who is too running a few successful businesses, maintaining a romantic life, a home life and a social life on top of trying to keep fit and being pregnant.

I sat on the extremely uncomfortable plastic bar stool at the glowing white table in the middle of the set in my Guns’n’Roses tee shirt, a pair of skinny jeans and a Red Sox cap. James and Phil were in a green room; James was probably trying to get his hands on the pastries that were on the very low table. Dad was here too with the twins. Kier and Alfie were away at school today. I liked the fact that James has his Aunt and Uncle to play with in there.

“Okay next topic,” The female hostess cheerfully said, flipping through her card. “-Health.” She added calmly, looking at all of us with a smile.

“So, some of you go to the gym or do aerobics, what else do you do to keep fit after or while having a baby?” Amy, the hostess asked curiously.

“I go running every morning after I send the kids to school.” Holly chirped cheerfully. Holly was the mother who has joined custody with her ex-husband and lives with her new boyfriend. She had three kids.

“I go to baby yoga.” Megan, the teen mom commented.

“Bailey, how ‘bout you?” Amy asked. Bailey giggled slightly.

“I think having two toddlers is exercise enough.” She remarked making everyone laugh. It’s true, even though dad’s home for another couple of weeks until they go into the studio to make their next album, he has to rest and looking after the twins isn’t resting so Bailey sometimes takes them to the warehouse.

They went to a break and had a one on one interview with me. Before we came back from the break I got to go to the green room and see James. Phil let him have one cookie and some hot chocolate. I didn’t mind, one cookie isn’t going to hurt anyone. The twins were passed out on Dad’s lap. Apparently they were running up and down the halls like the little hellion spawns my dad created. They say kids are ten times worse than their parents in behaviour, Trystan and Tammer proved that correct. When I had to go back to the set I got to sit on a comfy chair now, my back loved me for that. So did the baby. I was glad I had a nice hot mug of hot chocolate again.  

“Peasnie, what’s your diet like? We know you like looking like an A list celebrity.” Cameron the male host commented. I swallowed some of the hot chocolate they allowed us to have and shook my head.

“Y’know I actually don’t look like an A list celebrity. Yes before I had my son and now my daughter, I did go to the gym religiously and work out everyday but that was because I was a very busy person with all my projects that I was doing and I was modeling.”

“There was some controversy about that as well; people said you developed an eating disorder. Is that true at all?” Amy asked nosily. I furrowed my eye brows and shook my head.

“No, not at all, I never developed an eating disorder nor was I ever airbrushed or photo shopped. Modeling takes a lot of energy out of you because you’re working long days, so it’s better to be fit and healthy. I was never a stick thin figure in the media and nor will I ever be. I ate healthy for my family and my job but I like the cheese burger and extra large fries with a shake as much as the next person. I ate healthy and worked out because of my life style and when I was pregnant with James and now my daughter I’m eating healthy and exercising for them. I will never in danger them by not eating or eating too much junk or not keeping my body as healthy as it can be.” I told them calmly but I also was being assertive and forceful. I was trying to get it through everyone’s heads that I have never had an eating disorder in my entire life. Just because I modelled doesn’t mean I was a stick thin figure for the public media to poke at. I’m not even considered thin, I’m a size ten in jeans.

“Speaking of children’s health, James is deaf with only 20% hearing, correct?” Cameron asked curiously. I nodded as my heart broke inside my chest; I still blame myself for that. I did something wrong when I was pregnant with him. Maybe I did too much. Maybe I didn’t relax enough.

“Yeah, that’s right.” I replied calmly.

“That must be hard on both you and Phil, especially when you’re trying to calm him down.” Amy stated lightly. I nodded.

“It is because he can’t hear you over his own crying so you just have to hold him and wait for him to wear himself out.” I explained the trouble we go through with James, trying to keep him calm at night or when he’s upset. I suppose there’s an upside to James’ deafness, I can vacuum downstairs or in mine and Phil’s room while he’s napping and he won’t hear it and wake up.

“Do you have concerns about this baby and what health risks she might face?” Amy asked. I shook my head.

“The Doctor’s said James’ ears just didn’t develop properly, it has nothing to do with genetics and it won’t be a concern for this baby.” I said matter-of-factly. I was happy that our daughter won’t face the same health risks James did. When he was born and they said there was something wrong with his development, I sat in my bed and I cried so hard that I made myself sick. Phil knew that it wasn’t my fault or his fault, these things just happen sometimes and it sucks.

“So Peasnie, we know you’re an author and successful one at that, is there going to be a new book out any time soon about family life?” Cameron quizzed carefully. Everybody knows that I get really anal when they bring up my family and what I’m going to write about them. I literally have to tip toe around my family like my Uncles and Aunts and cousins. My brothers and sisters don’t care, nor does Bailey or dad.

I stammered slightly, leading into a nervous fake laugh. I brushed my bangs away from my face and smiled shyly.

“Actually Phil is writing a book about our family and what’s this year has been like, it’s more like a journal though because every night he writes in a journal just after James goes to sleep and he writes about his day, he writes what he did from the time he woke up to the time he goes to sleep and he writes what people say and do and things James will do.” I told them lively. Amy furrowed her eye brows and nodded.

“How many entries do you think he has?” Amy asked softly.

“Um, there are almost four hundred entries because he started the day James was born. I read them as well and they make me smile and realize what life with me is like to him.”

“All good I hope.” Amy commented making all three of us laugh. I shook my head and shrugged slightly.

“Sometimes there’s the occasional entry where I did or said something that got to him, he’d write down arguments we’ve had and then I’d realize how silly the reason we were fighting was. We’re basically every other married couple with a young child.” I told them the truth. Phil and I are deeply in love but love can be frustrating sometimes and we argue with each other and that’s normal. We never fight in front of James though. I don’t want James to see us fighting and neither does Phil.

“Well you two are the youngest married couple we’ve had on the show, you got married at twenty years old and in the same year you had your son, now at twenty one you’re on baby number two, how old will you be when baby number two is born?” Cameron asked shuffling his cards on his lap with a content expression. I smiled and shrugged.

“Actually Phil is turning twenty-two tomorrow while I’m gonna be twenty-two in March and our daughter, who’s name is Princess Lester for now, will be born at the end of July beginning of August.” I replied lively. I got a few risen eye brows at the fact that Phil and I named identify our daughter as Princess Lester. I didn’t like having to call her baby number two because even though everyone knows why we call her that, it makes me feel like she’s never going to match up to her brother. So we came up with a nickname for her and I’m sure when she’s born she’ll have that title still because she’ll be the biggest daddy’s girl ever.

After a few more questions I got the interview was over and we all got to go home but we couldn’t go home, we had a Doctor’s appointment to go to. Oh the fun in that.