Chapter 36: White Line Fever.

¬Peasnie¬

“Hello?” I greeted, picking up the house phone. Caller ID read ‘J Sullivan’. It must be my dad since it’s eleven o’clock in the morning so that means it’s three o’clock in the morning in California and only he calls at that time of night.

“Peasnie, oh my God.” Kier’s voice was shaky and filled with worry. He sounded like he was crying. My heart began to beat faster.

“Kier, is that you? What’s wrong?” I demanded as I paced around in the living room.

“Peasnie, something’s wrong with dad. I dunno what happened but he got up to go to the bathroom ten minutes ago and he collapsed in the hallway. We’re going to the hospital. Mom told me to call you.” Kier’s words made my heart drop. I inhaled deeply, it sounded like death taking a breath.

“Okay, don’t worry. I’m gonna hop on the first flight out there.” I told him. I wasn’t just trying to calm him down but I was also trying to calm myself down.

“Please get here as soon as you can. I can’t go through this again without you.” Kier was breaking and so was I. We’ve both seen our dad go through this before, so did Alfie but she was too young to understand. The twins are lucky they’re too young to understand what’s going on as well. Kier and I were barely able to handle this the first time but that was when we were all together. Now he’s all alone and he has to look after three little kids and try to keep them calm. I can understand why he needs me. I hung up my phone and held it against my face as I stood in the living room quietly. The rage was building up inside of me until I finally snapped, sending the phone flying across the room and the coffee table being thrown over violently. The rage was still bubbling inside me as I damn near broke everything in the house; I was to replace the coffee table and every pillow in the house, except James’ and Dan’s pillows. I cried angrily out loud as I stormed around the house beyond angry. But when I went downstairs and saw a picture of Dad and me sitting on a wall above the piano I felt myself break down, tears spilling down my freezing cheeks. My knees buckled out from under me, sending me tumbling to the ground. I just let out all the pain that was bottled up inside. I’ve been losing so many people lately. Why me? What did I do to deserve this? I lay on the floor with tears falling from my eyes as I became numb inside, there was no more pain, no more rage; just numbness, a pitch black that filled me up. What am I supposed to do? I swallowed hard and picked myself up off the floor and to my feet. I reached inside my pocket to find the cell phone. I frantically dialled the phone number, my hands shaking violently. A puddle of tears fell behind me as I paced around in the basement with rage and despair riddling in my veins. The weary voice answered the phone with a deep but grinding voice. My fragile glass world fell down to the earth below, shattering into billions of pieces.

“We’ve got a problem.” I muttered harshly. I didn’t mean to use that much venom in my voice but I couldn’t control it.

“Peasnie, what’s wrong?” Phil asked curiously. Phil and Dan were at work and James was at Jen’s house. I was home alone, apart from the dogs. My heart broke all over again at the mere thought of it. I inhaled deeply; a sharp, cold breath of air filled my lungs. Tears flowed down my face painfully.

“I just got a phone call from Kier; my dad collapsed and is in the hospital.” I announced, the words seemed to stick to my tongue. I couldn’t believe it, no matter how many times I told myself that I couldn’t believe it. It was like I was having a nightmare and I was screaming at myself to wake up but I couldn’t.

“Do you need to go to California?” Phil asked with worry in his voice. I knew I couldn’t just leave London right now, not with everything going on but my dad needs all of his family right now.

“Ugh yeah,” I sighed. The tears scrolled down my face as I packed my bag. “-Do you want me to bring James with me or do you want to watch on him?” I asked curiously. I needed to get moving because I’m purchasing tickets for the next flight out and that could be in three or four hours.

“Peasnie, you’re gonna have to take him with you. Dan and I are going up to Scotland tomorrow for T in the Park and I can’t bring him with me.” Phil reminded me of that. I sighed as I rubbed my temples tiredly.

“Okay, I’ll book the tickets, pack the bags and pick him up before heading to the airport.” I told him.

“Okay, love, have a safe flight.” Phil told me in a calming tone. Phil agreed that after the festival this weekend he’ll hop on a plan and come to California. I rubbed the tears from my eyes as booked the two tickets for the next flight to LA/X which leaves in eight hours. It gives me plenty of time to get there and through security, it’ll be a struggle with a six month old baby but I’ll manage. I know I could’ve kept James at Jen’s house but she’s going on holiday tonight so she’s not going to be home and I didn’t want to ruin her holiday.

I packed a couple pairs of jeans and tee shirts for me and tons of stuff for James. I couldn’t pack for him like I pack for me. He needs a plan bag that has formula, bottles, soothers, diapers, wipes, extra clothes and a couple little toys. James’ stuff took up most of my suit case.

I zipped up the suit case and carried both the suit case and carry on bag downstairs. I pulled on my jacket and my converse. I made sure the dogs were in the kitchen behind the baby gate, Munchkin and Kevin were fairly calm but poor Moose was all excited. I told them to be good before leaving the house with the suit cases. I locked the door behind me. It was the end of April so it was still fairly cool outside but the sun was out so it made the air a little warm. I loaded the suit cases into the trunk of the big green Jeep. James’ car seat was in the backseat already. The music played quietly as I drove through the winding streets to Jen’s house. She didn’t know I was coming so when she opened the front door to see me there, she knew something was wrong. I explained the situation to her and she understood. I buckled a sleeping James into his car seat and took off towards the airport. Getting through London to Heathrow airport was easier since it was midday. My mind was racing and my heart was speeding away inside my chest. I couldn’t think. By the time I got through the doors to drop off the suit case, James was awake and he was very confused. I’d be confused too if I went to sleep in a comfy bed and I woke up in an airport. By the time we got through security he wasn’t a very happy baby so I took him to get his diaper changed before we got on the plane. He seemed fine after I got him changed into comfortable onesies and a new diaper but as soon as we got on the plane and he was strapped into his car seat again, James was full blown crying. I know people were giving me weird looks about him. He was a crying baby on a plane full of grumpy old men and women and I couldn’t do anything until the seat belt sign was off. It was frustrating to have to deal with him like this. I wanted to hold him but the sign wasn’t off yet.

I rubbed his belly and shushed him gently. He sat by the window, I pulled the blinds down. I was exhausted now and I was running on nothing. My head was sore and my eyes were heavy but worry kept me awake.

“It’s okay, it’s gonna be okay.”