Chapter 48: California's Burning Down Tonight.

Chapter 48: California’s Burning Down Tonight.

¬Peasnie¬

“Y-you found your dad?” I asked in disbelief, I was in disbelief. He was looking for his dad and didn’t tell me? Why? Phil swallowed hard and nodded carefully. His face was full of sorrow and a little shame. It made me question, why? He’s been looking for his dad for years, why does it look so sad? I put my hands on my hips and furrowed my eye brows as Phil avoided eye contact with me. He kicked the ground and bit his lip.

“Well, who is he? Where is he? I wanna meet your maker.” I said eagerly, I suppose I was being a bit over powering again but I was excited for him. Phil grew up without a male figure in his life. Phil bit his bottom lip hard and looked up through his bangs at me. He shook his head and sighed. He turned on his heel and grabbed a big brown envelope that sat on the island, he handed it to me carefully. His hands were shaking with fear and nervousness. I became worried; maybe his dad is an ex-con or something. Maybe Phil is ashamed of his dad is. Phil shouldn’t be the one who’s nervous, his dad should. That man abandoned Phil and his mom to go live some free-loader life.

“You’re not gonna believe it when you read it.” Phil said calmly. I highly doubt that. I opened the envelope, the seal was already broken and the paper was crumpled. I dug my hand into the envelope and gripped the paper, pulling it out. I was a little taken back when I read the top of the paper.

Huntington Beach Sperm Bank.

Purchase made: January 3, 1995. $150.99

Phil Michael Lester; born January 30, 1995.

Mother: Zoey Amelia Lester.

Father: . . . .

My eyes grew wide as I read the paper carefully. I had to re-read it, thirteen times before it went into my head. What I was reading was true, holy shit. This is a Jerry Springer moment. I looked up at Phil, my jaw was on the floor and my eyes were giant ovals. Phil seemed a bit shy; he shrugged his shoulder a little and sank into the neck of his hoodie. He bit his lip again and stared at me with a blank expression.

“Told you.” He said softly. Holy shit.

3 hours later. . . .

“Why’d you dress him up, he’s going to bed soon anyways?” Phil complained at me as we walked up the path to my Grandparents’ house. Phil adjusted the black vest I put on James. I wanted James to be stylish; he wasn’t going to a party without turning a few heads. I put James in a nice blue Beatles tee shirt with a black vest over top and some jeans with his little baby blue anchor styled converse. He wore a jacket over top as Phil carried the little boy. James played with Phil’s hood.

“I want him to turn a few heads. Anyways I think his outfit is the cutest. Don’t you agree?” I asked making a silly face at James. His smile grew widely, showing off all of his pearly white teeth. He had Phil’s smile, I’m grateful for that. I love Phil’s smile. Phil smiled at me and nodded.

“Yes dear. He’s the cutest disguise the devil has ever worn.” Phil said jokingly. I playfully punched his arm. I made sure Phil wore something nice as well, I didn’t want to over dress him. So I put him in a baby blue dress shirt, a sports blazer and black slacks. I wore a nice blue one piece with a beige leather belt and a pair of pale pink flats. I had my long hair tied to one side and over my shoulder in one long spiral curl.

“So are you going to confront him?” I asked curiously. I wanted to know if Phil was going to confront him. Phil looked back at me and shrugged his shoulders. I was still in disbelief that his dad is his dad. Phil thought he’s never met his dad but in reality, he has.