Chapter 1: California to New York.

Smiling up at my dad as we said Good-Bye was hard, for both of us. I never thought I’d be saying Good-Bye like this. I never thought I’d be the one leaving, it usually is him leaving. I saw the tears in his eyes as not only my family stood there but Phil’s and Dan’s parents as well. Bailey, my stepmom was really proud of me and my fourteen year old brother, Kier was a bit excited that I was leaving but I knew he was going to miss me. And Alfie, she was just Alfie. My dad though, he was broken hearted. I could see it in his eyes.

He forced a smile as we stood at the border where I had to say Good-Bye before getting on a plane and fleeing to London with my two best friends. I smiled up at my dad while I adjusted my carry-on bag on my shoulder.

“Last time we were here the roles were reversed.” I told him with a light tone even though I was terrified about what awaits for me in London. He nodded and opened his arms, allowing me in for a hug. Might I mention it was a very tight, squeezy hug? The ones I’ve grown up with. My dad pulled away and looked at Dan and Phil with the most serious expression and pointed at them.

“You two better keep her safe. If I find out any funny business is going on I’m gonna be on my first flight out to London.” He told them. I knew Dan and Phil were intimidated by him which left me to reassure him.

“Yes sir.” Phil choked nervously. I laughed and playfully punched his arm.

“I don’t need a man; I can take care of myself.” I reassured him jokingly. He wore a proud expression as Dan and Phil completely agreed with me. The intercom announced that our flight was now boarding and we should make our way to the gates.

“Flight 275 to New York is now boarding.” My stomach knotted and twisted as I stood there facing my family. I had to keep telling myself this was for the best and I can’t let fear slow me down. Saying Good-Bye is hard, when has it ever been easy? But moving all the way across the world to a place you’ve only visited as a child once or twice it terrifying. But moving with my two best friends is reassuring. I readjusted the bag and tried to hold back the tears.

“I guess this is Good-Bye.” I said sullenly. I remember at first he was so angry with me for even considering leaving America. He would be angry if I even considered leaving Long Beach but after a couple weeks of him trying to convince me to stay and me not letting up, he gave up and realized that I’m eighteen and I need to go live my life. I need to bloom into my own person.

I watched as his tears skimmed down his face as our time together has run out and it was time for me to go live my life in London. I get to sail across the sun now. I get to fall for my shooting star.

Before I left I gave him one last hug, this one was for the both of us. I smiled through the fear and looked at him.

“Don’t worry dad, if you ever feel lonely just look up at the night sky and I’ll be there with you.” I told him, quoting something he told me as a child. He always made up stories of the stars. He takes the three of us outside at night if it’s clear and he tells them stories about everything.

“Peasnie, we need to go.” I heard Dan say calmly. His mom had finally let his out of her death grip. I sighed and pulled away from my dad sadly. I gave him a little wave and a smirk.

“Later old timer.” I said sullenly.

 “I love you sweetie, have fun living in London, but no grandkids for a couple more years.” Those were my dad’s last words to me before I went to the boarding gates with my best friends. I couldn’t help but laugh then at his final words. He has trust in me about those things but little reminders are a good thing. The entire time Phil held my hand and made sure I was comfortable as we boarded the plane.