Chapter 24

Clayton's POV
     When I woke up in my bed with my mate in my arms the first thought that came to mind was that my world was turning again.

     "Good morning, beautiful," I declared wholeheartedly.

     "Good morning, my love," she replied sweetly. She and I both knew that today very well could be the day our children were born. It had been a few weeks since we discovered that she was pregnant and usually a luna carrying 5 pups would have delivered by now. The anticipation was eating me alive, but she seemed content waiting however long they needed.

     "You look especially gorgeous this morning," I proclaimed with a smile.

     "You say that every morning, but you. Now you look amazing," she said as she cupped my face with her hand. "As always," she added before kissing my lips. I gladly returned it and couldn't hold back a smile, but when she felt my smile she couldn't help but smile too. She pressed her forehead to mine and I got lost in her eyes. There was something about her. Her eyes, her lips, her teeth, her nose, her cheeks, her hands, her voice, her smile, her touch, it was more than the mate connection, even more than an alpha and luna mate connection. I just loved her and I was so in love with her. I knew for a fact that even if we hadn't been mates, I would have still fallen in love with her. I could feel that it was true; it was like something in the the center most part of my humanity was desperately in love with her. 

     "Angel, I love you so much. I'm so sorry that I even let you slip from my hands for a second," I said, still staring into her eyes. It had bothered me to no end that I allowed anyone to take her from me. I had fallen into a depression over the days following her capture because I knew in my heart that I failed as her protector and I feared that she would never be able to trust me to keep her safe.

     "Clay," she started. My heart was beating rapidly with the first word she spoke. "You don't have to keep apologizing. It was never your fault," she started.

      "But it was, Angel. I know it was. I am your mate it's my responsibility to keep you safe. I failed and nothing has ever hurt worse than that."

     "Clayton! Never say that," she sounded very serious. "You couldn't possibly fail as my mate. You try too hard and do too good at it," she said in a different tone before pecking my lips.

     "Well I have an idea to prevent it from happening in the future," I said seriously but she rolled her eyes in response. "From now on, I could just never let go of you, especially in public," I declared.

     "I would be perfectly fine with that," she answered.

     "Then it's settled," I said wrapping my arms around her waist and pulling her into me. That's when I noticed a flash of pain in her beautiful blue eyes and immediately sat her up. She gave me a grateful smile.

     "Its like they just all decided to move at once," she said with a truly happy voice. I smiled because it made me happy to see her so happy. I placed my hands on her stomach and I could feel them moving around. I kissed her stomach.

     "Daddy loves you so much. I can't wait to see you all," I said to my beautiful mate's bulging stomach. "One of you boys will be the future Alpha. Are you ready for all of that?" I continued. I thought Angel was going to cry, she was so happy. "Contractions aren't bothering you too much this morning, right?" I said before pulling her closer to me.

     "Well, it definitely feels like they are fighting over which one is going to be first," she said. I laughed. "But no, regular timing but not too painful. So what's on the schedule for today?" She asked.

     "Well, no schedule," I said with a smile. "The fighting clans are starting up training again today. I gave them some time off after we took over The Castle of Rogues," I said with a smile. "A few of them had minor injuries, but nothing was serious and I think everyone is ready to get back to training now," I told her. The only thing that made me feel any better at all about the memory of my failure to protect Angel was that the two causes of it were suffering now. "It just makes me feel better to know that Ryan and Daniel are paying for what they did," I regretted it as soon as I said it. It was true, but I regretted it.