Chapter 17

Angels POV

     "I love you," he whispered in my ear as we swayed back and forth to the music. A slow song was playing and Clay and I were as close to each other as we could get. His hands had found their place on my waist and my head was on his chest while my arms were wrapped around his neck.

     "I love you too, Clay," I said truthfully. I don't know how but every time we say those words it's like the first time that we confessed our love to each other and it's absolutely perfect.

     "Do you want to get out of here?" He asked me as he rubbed small circles on my back with his hands.

     "Can we?" I asked him. I didn't care where we went as long as I got some more of Clayton. The public display of affection was pretty common in here, but I was wanting to be alone on the night of his proposal.

     "Absolutely, baby," he answered as he took my hand leading me off of the dance floor.

     "I'm going to go tell Kaylee, Josh, and Daniel that were leaving."

     "Alright, babe. I'll be right here," he replied in a deep voice.

     I walked across the dance floor to see Kaylee in Josh's lap talking and laughing.

     "Hey, guys. Clay and I are about to get out of here," I said when I reached them.

      "What?! What time is it?" Kaylee asked with a big smile. I could tell that she had been drinking, but I knew Josh would take care of her. He hadn't drank a thing at all since we got there and I knew I could trust him. 

     "Almost 1:00 am." I said.

      "What? My party girl is leaving a club before 2?!" She said jokingly.

     "Yeah. I'm going home with Clay," I said happily. "I only had one drink, unlike you," I joked with her. "Please be careful," I asked.

     "Wait. Okay, you said home with Clay, right?" She asked, trying to pry information out of me.

     "Yes, Kaylee. We are getting married and I'm moving in with him, I know that you knew about all of this beforehand," I said with a laugh. 

     She laughed hysterically before responding. "Wow!" She smiled really big. "Guess I'll see you love birds later," she said with a wink.

     "Bye, Kaylee, bye, Josh," I said. Josh gave me a thumbs up as I walked away, confirming that Kaylee was safe with him. I knew that she would be, Josh was such a great boyfriend to her. I continued walking until I saw Daniel across the bar drinking with a beautiful girl. I approached them and a huge smile appeared on Daniel's face.

     "Hi guys!" I said happily. I was glad that he was mingling with the women here.

     "Hey Angel," Daniel said in a cool voice, trying to wipe his face of the smile that appeared when he saw me.

    "Who's your beautiful friend?" I asked smiling and gesturing to the pretty girl. He faced me directly and shot me a look that told me he was not discussing it now and he was not happy.

     "I'll tell you about that. We need to talk!" He said all too fast. Something was wrong. Daniel is, or at least was, my best friend. I could just tell that something was off with him. He seemed very nervous and serious.  He jumped out of his chair and gently pushed her aside, he grabbed my hand, pulling me to a corner across the room where I couldn't see the girl or Clay anymore. "We need to talk," he said as I was laughing. Pulling me aside in the middle of a real life situation was definitely something that he would do when he was nervous in the middle of something years ago when we were best friends.

      "I understand that," I said, still chuckling. Then, all of a sudden, his worried expression turned into a happy smile. "Okay? What do you need to talk to me about?" I asked after a moment of silence. 

     "Oh, yes," he said as his face returned to its previous lost an confused expression. "So. This isn't easy to say," he began. "That girl over there, that's my mate, Gabriella," he said in a voice that showed how torn he was. I didn't understand the dilemma. He had just met his mate, he should've been ecstatic. Immediately I realized that something was wrong here. 

     "I don't understand the problem, you should be happy!" I said with a huge smile that he slowly returned. 

     "I don't know how to explain it. So I'm going to do it, okay?" I didn't respond. I had expected him to turn away from me, but he didn't.