Chapter 23

Clayton's POV

     My wolf had overtaken me. I was ready to fight in every way. My team had tortured the rogues until they got the information that we needed to retrieve my Angel. The entire pack was behind me and we were ready to destroy the rogue kingdom.

     I set the prison on fire. There were about 30 or 40 rogues in it that had been collected over the past few days and they went down as soon as I found out that they were sent there to take my Angel to their prince to be his bride. Their sole purpose was to distract me from her.

      Angel was not Ryan's. Angel would never be Ryan's; she was mine only and the idea  of someone taking her away from me made my wolf crazy. No one had the right to take my mate away from me. I really didn't care if he thought he was a prince; there was nothing special about him. Unlike Alphas, Betas, and high ranking pack officials, Rogue Royalty had nothing special about them except being born into a family of monarchs. I would never let some rogue take away my Angel to be his princess. She was my queen, my luna.

     In wolf form, I led the pack through the clearing approximately 40 miles away from the castle grounds. We had to reach a certain perimeter line before my mind link would restore with Angel, but at least I could speak to my pack that was with me.

     'You doing okay, Lucas?' I heard one of the guards ask my beta. Lucas had been with Amber since they met and not being fully mated was really starting to mess with his wolf, so the separation wasn't helping. He begged me to allow him to stay with Amber and watch over her, but I refused. He asked how I could expect him to come and save my mate when his was at home and left unprotected. I quickly reminded him that Angel was his luna and my guards backed me up. As much a I hated to say it to him, Angel was priority right now. But, thankfully, I didn't have to. Lucas knew his luna's position and the loyalty she deserved. I also think that deep down he knew that he only felt that way because he wasn't fully mated.

     'I'm fine,' Lucas replied, you could tell he was hurting. 

     'Lucas,' I said sternly through the mind link. He was standing behind me, I was leading the pack. 'Approach me,' I said, unintentionally, in my alpha voice.

     'Yes, Alpha. As you wish, Alpha,' he said as he came to the front with his head hanging low. I switched to the the alpha/beta mind link and then the pack started to get suspicious. But still, I knew that they wouldn't disturb us.

     'I don't appreciate the attitude that you are leading this mission with right now. I understand that your wolf is hurting but do you really think that mine isn't? You're being selfish. This isn't about me, the whole pack is at risk,' I said all at once in a dictating voice.

     'I know, Clayton, you're right. I'm sorry, man. I... I don't know... I didn't even think about the fact that you aren't really you right now either. I just.... I need her,' he said.

     'I know. I think you forgot, Lucas, I know. Now cut out all of the emotions and get ready for battle. I need you to be reliable. Remember that Amber's life is depending on this too,' I said quickly. He nodded and I knew that I could depend on him now.

     'Now fall back,' I ordered through the pack link and he did.

     The pack link was silent. Good. Exactly the way I wanted it. They were preparing to fight. With any luck, I could get it, get Angel, and get out. I doubted that it would be that easy though. The rogues were weak, but they had numbers and they were brainwashed.

     I was about halfway through the clearing and I could feel the summer breeze. It was hot for mid September, but there was a cold breeze that blew through my fur and made me think about Angel. The first night that we met, at that college party, we went on a run so that our wolves would be more content. It got cold that night, I think it was because we were close to the sea, but the wind was blowing and it blew through Angel's thick white fur. That's when I really stopped to admire her beauty because my wolf couldn't look away from her. At first I thought that she would think I was crazy because I literally couldn't take my eyes off of her wolf, it seemed crazy, but even if wolf form she was beyond gorgeous. Then I noticed that she was staring at me too, but into my eyes. After that, I don't know how, but the space between us closed and it wasn't long until we were laying down beside the river. She was curled up next to me and I certainly didn't push her away, her touch kept my wolf satisfied.