Chapter 24

Last night I dreamt I had forgotten my name

'Cause I had sold my soul but awoke just the same

I'm so lonely

I wish I was the moon tonight

-Neko Case - I wish I was the moon

Chapter 24.

My shirt was wet with tears as I held Ally's head against my chest and listened to the sound of her weeping. Cotton was acting strange again. What happened with Pete was only the start of today's mess.

"You mean this is the asshole that almost tore you to pieces and you only just realise that now?" the memory of Ally yelling at Cotton was still fresh in my mind, even as the sun was setting and night was dropping in around us.

"I'm lucky I even remember what happened at all. I could be fucking dead right now Alison, And he's the one who almost killed me" Cotton yelled back pointing his finger at Pete, who's body lay limp on the dirt floor. Pete's heart rate was slowing and his breaths were short and far apart.

I was trying to change back into my human form but my wolf felt threatened by Cotton, she was ready for whatever happened, I , on the other hand, couldn't hurt Cotton, he was one of my best friends.

"Noah get here now" I yelled in Noah's head.

Cottons head snapped in my direction. "Dont worry darling, By the time the Alpha gets here ill be gone" He said, exaggerating the word 'Alpha'.

"Cotton, What the fuck is wrong with you man" Jake said walking back into the trees carrying an arm load full of clothes.

"What the fuck" Cotton said turning to look at Jake.

"You should have my back, not these pathetic mongrels, were brothers, you have no link to them" Cotton said as he walked over to Jake.

I didn't know what was up with Cotton but I knew there was something wrong with him. I hadn't seen him act this way before.

"What's wrong, I'm almost there" Noah replied in my head seconds before he leapt through a gap in the trees behind me.

Cotton turned and growled at him, His body shook uncontrollably before he shifted and began to run in the opposite direction, leaving a cloud of dust behind him.

Ally and I spent the last few hours talking about Cotton, and how his wolf acted up all those years ago. Maybe that's what was happening again now, maybe he just needed help again.

"You girls alright?" Jake asked, as he joined Ally and I on the porch. He handed us both a tall glass of orange juice and leaned against the wooden railing opposite me.

"Ally, I don't know what's happening with Cotton right now, but he'll come around" Jake said quietly, his face and voice full of worry.

Ally looked up at him, her eyes still full of tears and nodded before standing up and walking to the door.

"I'm going to head off to bed, I'll see you guys in the morning" She said goodnight and then went inside the house.

"Jake, what was up with Cotton today? Ive never seen him act that way" I asked

"Did Ally ever tell you how Cotton joined our family?" Jake asked as he moved to sit down next to me on the swing chair.

"No, Ally and I haven't had much time to talk lately" I replied before taking a sip of my orange juice then handing Jake Ally's glass that she had left out here on the floor.

"When I was a few years old, my grandfather died, I was really close to him and I took it really hard, my parents weren't expecting me to understand what death was, but I did and I mourned more than a child my age should. A few days after his death, I shifted, They think because of the stress. It only lasted a few weeks and then my wolf went back into hiding. But in those few weeks I learnt a lot about running in the woods, hunting food, I learnt about scents and a few others things"