chapter 38

The birds circled around us as we ran to the gates of the prison. The prison was close to the alphas house but still towards the outskirts of the pack lands. Close enough for ease of access but far enough so that it wasn't a constant reminder of our enemies.

My mom had shifted into her wolf and ran alongside us, kicking up dirt and dust as her paws pounded against the ground and lifted the earth. Sophia and Rheon ran ahead with Noah, as well as frank and Jake. We had left Uncle Sean, Mikaere and Noah's Aunt Ramari at the house. They weren't happy about being away from me, the night of Noah's coronation Rheon had made them my keepers. It was hard for us to be apart in a time like this, because my upbringing wasn't in the pack being trained, i wasn't a strong fighter. My life depended on their protection and theirs depended on my survival.

When we reached the prison the gates had been ripped apart, there were birds covering the building and the prison guards were fighting in human form outside.

Noah ran in to help. Snapping the first guys neck. He worked his way through the 8 or so intruders until there was a pile of bodies on the ground. It was hard to watch. I hadn't grown up with any of this, and the brutality and instant deaths without trial, explanations or need for cause always threw me off, i knew what needed to happen, i was told this is how it was, i just didn't want to watch.

The others had joined him now as they made their way into the prison. Jake turned to look at us for a moment just before entering and i heard his voice in my head "Look after her...." he said. Ally and i nodded simultaneously and i then realized the message was directed towards us both. 

My mom was circling around the 3 of us, Quin was shivering, she hadnt stopped since we left the main house, i watched her face as she stared at the entrance of the prison, worried for her mate, maybe even worried for her friends and members of the pack she came from, she was torn between loyalties. Out of the corner of my eye i noticed a red mark forming around her neck, it was welting, angry and looked very painful. "Is your necklace made of silver?" i asked.
"Yeah, a gift from Jake, whys that?" she replied as her hands lifted to touch the silver chain and small pendant around her neck, She noticed then the burning sensation and panicked to remove it. Ally used her hands to rip the chain apart, wincing a little as her hands felt the burn of the silver.

"Why would Jake give you a silver chain, knowing you would be shifting soon?" i asked, Ally answered. "He did it to warn when she was beginning to transition, the allergy would show first" i was about to ask why, but i was distracted by a low and steady growl beside me. Sniffing the air and ground. Every few seconds she would bend low and growl deeply, My mom could sense something, and now that i was paying attention, I too could smell a strange but familiar scent in the air. Fur started sprouting on my arms, and slowly my hands morphed into paws, dark thin nails, strong spongy pads, thick red fur between each toe. i had never transitioned this slowly, never slow enough to appreciate the sensation of each change. My body was confused, i sensed someone near, but my wolf instincts could not decide whether it was friend or foe.

The shift was slow, and then all at once. my heart beat fast and hard in my chest, my head was throbbing, i stood next to my mom and Ally - who was still in her human form, all 3 of us scanned the edge of the woods.  We heard rustling coming from a small path not far from where we stoodwhich of course sent Ally and into defense mode.  Ally flipped through the air and landed in her full wolf form in front of us, i remember feeling an urge to be in front of her, to protect a member of my pack, so i moved to stand between her and the woods, all three of us bent low to the ground snarling. 

 When he walked out from the edge of the forest i didn't know him. but my mother, having immediately recognized the man, shifted back. 

"Julian?" 

The man smiled. his hands were trembling, he looked a little worse for wear, but he was handsome, and his face held familiar features i had seen somewhere before. His eyes flicked to my face. shock? surprise? recognition? what was happening? how did we know each other? He began walking closer, his eyes watery, and his hand covering his mouth as he pointed towards me, looking back to my mother for confirmation.

"Shes mine?" He asked to which my mom nodded. 

My own eyes began to fill with tears as i realized i had heard his name before. I looked to his neck and saw the scar that ran from ear to ear, and memories of the story my mother told echoed in my ears. I looked at her now and she was beaming. i had never seen her shine so bright before.

Her smile slowly faded, she looked down at me, still bent low in my wolf form, looking back and forth from her to this man. This man who's name belonged to my father, the scar reaching from ear to ear telling me the story was true, the familiar eyes and hair, the way he stood and held his hand out to me. 

  "Into the woods, Dylan, there is clothes for you and Ally in the tree by the entrance just there" my mom said pointing to the entrance nearest us.

Ally talked to me as we changed, i heard the words she was saying but nothing registered, all i knew was i had just seen my father; My Dead father, standing not 10 feet away from me, i could barely sort the questions in my head, but one was most important, so as we walked back towards the others, i knew which question id ask first.

"How are you alive?" i asked as i slowly walked towards him. "She told me" i turned my face to my mothers "You told me he was dead" 

Her lips were quivering as tears escaped her eyes "I thought he was. Ive gone 18 years thinking he was". Julian was holding my mothers hand, both of them cautiously walking towards me. "James only cut the skin. he didn't cut deep enough, when i felt his knife pressing gently i knew what he was doing, so i played along"

"And then what? you never thought of coming to find us? you never thought of looking for mom when you healed?" i replied, suddenly anger had set in. My moms face was also searching for answers, there were so many emotions i thought i could see

"How much do you know?" he asked. searching my moms face for answers before looking to mine

" Nothing. i know nothing.