Chapter 4

It was almost seven o clock when I was walking into my bedroom. I had dropped Ally off home about half an hour ago. She asked if I wanted to stay at her house for the night but I needed to be alone. What had happened today with Caitlin really shook me up.  My day had been less than ideal, our trip to the mall was meant to serve as a pick-me-up, and instead it had an opposite effect.

I was lucky that Ally had come in to the bathroom when she had. There was something odd about Caitlin. That bitch is on steroids I thought to myself.

 After we left the mall Ally was acting as if she had done something wrong, I realised she was beating herself up about the confrontation between me and Caitlin. It took me almost an hour to convince her that what had happened was my fault and that she did me a favour. It made me feel worse that my friend had to fight my battles for me. But I was grateful. I shuddered when I thought back to the incident in the bathroom and thought of what could have happened if Ally hadn’t arrived when she did. I wasn’t much of a fighter, and even if I was, I don’t think I could have taken Caitlin on. Punching Brian in the face was the only time I had actually hit anybody. I was surprised how much power I could put behind a punch.

I headed into the bathroom that was connected to my room, stripping my clothes off on the way. I needed a nice hot shower to relax. I closed the door and went to the mirror to take my earrings out. I was reaching up to take a stud out of my ear when I noticed a few dark red spots under my arm. I lifted my arm higher in the air and found 5 holes in my side where Caitlin’s fingers had dug into me. They weren’t deep but they were definitely noticeable. There were a few drips of dry blood trailing from each hole, but there wasn’t much. I stood there staring at myself until the mirror fogged up and I could no longer see my reflection.

How did I not feel her nails pierce my skin? I thought. Better yet how did she actually manage to pierce my skin? I hadn’t felt any pain when she grabbed me and no pain in the car during the trip home. I hadn’t felt any pain at all. I lifted my hand to brush over the marks. I winced a little when I touched them. They were a little bit tender but nothing too serious. I lifted my other arm and noticed the same markings on that side as well. What the hell? This is not normal. I thought.

I quickly showered and then grabbed my first aid kit out of my vanity cupboard. I used a couple alcohol swabs and antiseptic wipes to clean the marks then I placed a sterile gauze pad over the area and taped it down with surgical tape. I was pretty impressed with my dressings. Usually I would get my mom to patch me up since she was a nurse, but there was no way in hell she could ever find out about this. She would hit the roof.

I made a mental note to get Ally to check my marks out in the morning. I was scared about them getting infected or anything like that. From what I could see they were fine. But I couldn’t see the marks on my back properly. I usually didn’t panic about cuts and scrapes or anything like that. But I was feeling extremely paranoid about these ones. That bitch had better not have given me any slut diseases! I thought to myself, chuckling a little because I knew there was no such thing. But who knows what kind of germs she could have had under her nails.

I changed into my Betty boop pyjamas and went down stairs to grab a hot chocolate. Hot chocolate always made me feel better. It was starting to get really cold at night now which only made me excited that winter was coming. This would be my first Christmas at home in years and I was super excited to spend it with Ally. Thinking about how great Christmas would be this year took my mind off of Brian and Caitlin. Even if it was only for a moment.